Saturday, December 29, 2018

Christmas 2018

Some of the 12 kinds of cookies I baked.
 All the usual things happened this Christmas.  I decorated the house, bought gifts, baked cookies, delivered cookies.  We spent Christmas Eve with our family, though some VIPs were missing this year.  Our family in St. Louis could not travel to be with us.  We visited on facetime, but they were surely missed.  We were so grateful to be together, greeting our family, preparing our dinner.  My dearest carving the turkey breasts, Jon slicing the homemade bread. We were content.
Then all of our joy was eclipsed by an announcement.

 Jon and Charlotte gave each grandmother, Charlotte's Mom Roseann and me, two boxes.  They represented the twins Charlotte and Jon are expecting this spring.  

 We opened them to reveal that our twins are girls!

 Two baby girls!  We laughed and cried.  We are all so very happy.  The little girls even have names.
Irene Kristen, for my Mom and Auntie Kristen, and there is Stevie Rose, for Charlotte's Dad and her Mom Roseann.  So beautiful to remember my Mom this way, and Charlotte's Dad Steven as they were both pivotal in Charlotte's and Jon's lives.  Irene and Steven's memory will live on in my sweet granddaughters. What a wonderful Christmas surprise. We are over the Moon happy!  Three granddaughters. Our hearts are full.

 Beautiful blooms from Elizabeth.

 Penny insisted that we needed a BIG tree so Santa could put all of her gifts under it.  I remembered this tall pine in the basement.  I propped it onto a old suitcase, added some cherished toys and she was satisfied.

 No fire on Christmas Eve.  I made things ahead of time while visiting with my dear SIL Elizabeth.  Mashed Potato Casserole, Baked Ziti, Stuffing with Wild Rice, Pierogi, Turkey, Broasted Chicken, Italian Beef.  I also made a new coleslaw with dried cranberries, pecans and some Harry and David pears.  Everyone, especially Kris and my dearest loved it. Something for everyone. 

We played the crazy Christmas Lottery and laughed so much.  My sweetheart even got into wrapping some things for the lottery.  They were wrapped in multiple plastic bags and were popular items to steal.  I still have a box with things left behind.  You have till the 15th of January to claim your prizes, or they get donated to the local thrift. We are so happy to carry on the tradition of Christmas Eve with our family.  I hope someday our children will bring the family together to celebrate, just like my Buscia did, my Mom and Dad did, and now we do.  I love my family so very much.
  
 If Christmas Eve is a party, Christmas Day is respite.  Quiet, simple, soothing.
The beef is in the crockpot and the chicken soup is on the stove all day/

 A big bowl of noodles and two pans of lasagna.  Everyone went home with leftovers for lunch the next day.  There is even some in the freezer for Jon who had to work Christmas Day.

 The sun came out in the morning, and as I walked around I enjoyed the sunlight bouncing off the decorations.

 It all goes by so quickly.

 The memories last forever.

 Our ballerina dancing with the snowflakes projected on the walls.

 This Christmas gets locked into our hearts.

 At this point in the evening a young photographer took my camera.

 Penny took these photos, of her new guitar,

 my new pillow,

 a sweet vignette,

 a sweeter selfie!

 The house got quiet,

 little did I know Penny was making art.

 Appreciating the ordinary,

 just like Grandma likes to do.

 Elizabeth found that little suitcase for me.

 One of Penny's LOL's posing.

 Penny's eye view of the mantle...

and the perfect sentiment to end this post. Peace on Earth.

Thank you for stopping by and for your friendship and love throughout the year.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

I love every word and photo in this post. It sounds like your family knows how to celebrate the holiday in all the best ways -- especially that double gift under the tree. Girl twins -- how exciting. And I love how they are being nameed.

It's all so wonderful and I am delighted that everything in your world was merry and bright this season. Happy New Year! ~~ jeanie

Our Hopeful Home said...

Belated Merry Christmas to you and yours! I rarely get around blogland to comment anymore but I had to stop by and say hello and Seasons Greetings. Your holiday sounds wonderful. We have no family here so it's a bit anticlimactic, but we love being together just the same. One's in college, another in college next year and my baby is in 10th grade:( Time flies. Gotta savor every moment. Congrats on the babies and Happy New Year! xo Kathy