Monday, October 7, 2019

The Price of Love

As the last Monarch visited the garden, 
I have lived another month of my life in the unfamiliar world 
without my best friend and husband.
There is still beauty, love and even joy to be had in this world.  

The flowers are still blooming, the cool crisp Autumn days we loved are calling me outdoors.
I share my time with my granddaughters and family.  I got to walk with my baby girls for the first time.  They stayed awake for the entire time, and looked at me when we headed back to the house, like, that's all Grandma?  So around the neighborhood we went.  They are all happy companions, and I see my husband in each of them.

 The hydrangea are putting on a late show after a rainy and cool  period.  


Me and my little shadow.  Penny and I walked and 
talked and remembered on a cool Sunday morning.

 She is awesome and fun.  
Smart and full of nature facts, compliments of her school's great ecology program. 
 A nature lover, like me and full of energy that's contagious.
In other words, I have to keep up.


A trip to the local nursery for pumpkins and broom corn.


 Not one to miss a photo opportunity, Penny hopped right into the sleigh. We are hoping to someday take a real sleigh ride.  We were not able to check this off our bucket list with Grandpa.


I am so grateful that she loves to spend time with me.
Penny makes sure I don't dwell on the sadness,
 but remember the fun we always had together.

October has always been a sad month to me.  I lost my Mom many years ago on a bright October day.
John Denver died in October too.  Something about the light, and the short days.  

The loss of my dearest has changed my life in so many ways, yet here I am after days, weeks and months.  Life goes on. My heart still  beats because of our family. I laugh because of my kids.  We cry together. but it often ends in laughter.  That's exactly what their Dad would want, and exactly what he always did.  He made me laugh, we loved to laugh.  He had a heart as soft as marshmallow.  They all have that soft heart from their Dad.  He is loved, missed and remembered more than I can express.  He is the first thing I think of in the morning and the last thought I have at night.   Sometimes my dreams of him are so vivid, I can feel the warmth of his kiss.   

"Grief never ends.  But it changes.  
It's a passage, not a place to stay.
Grief is not a sign of weakness, 
nor a lack of faith.
It is the price of love."
-Author Unknown

Thank you for stopping by and for your kindness.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Time keeps moving even when we are stopped with a grieving heart.
Happy your little love granddaughter companion helps bring spark, laughter, sweet times!
And strolling with the twins, what joy . . . bet the neighbors like seeing them too!
October days . . . brisk air . . .smoky campfire fragrance tugs at me as well . . .
Bitter Sweet vines says it well . . .
Caring about you . . . keeping you in my heart.

babs said...

❤️

Mary in Colorado said...

I just this evening read your September and October posts and read the news of your of your sweet husband's death in May. I am so deeply sorry for your loss of such a wonderful man.Every loving,caring thought I have is for you today and for your children Nothing gets any of us ready for such a loss especially when two people have the bond and marriage that you grew over all these years.Throuh my years of reading your blog and enjoying all the beautiful life happenings and warm and funny stories that were always apart of your posts....I feel As though I know you and my heart aches for you. Mary in Colorado