Monday, July 6, 2020

Fireworks


 How does the Fourth of July feel?  I guess I can't explain but each holiday has it's own smells, sights and feelings.  I woke early and hit the grocery store while everyone else in our town seemed to be asleep. I bought sweet corn, a watermelon, some burgers to add to the things I had already purchased in because I was to have visitors.


I cut up the watermelon and made individual cups to grab and go.  
I made Pasta, Pesto and Peas a Ina Garten recipe that Kristen had mentioned recently.  
Again small containers to grab so not to share a serving spoon.  
Something happened while I was preparing...
IT FELT LIKE A HOLIDAY!


Nothing has felt right in so long that it was almost shocking.  I got out some flags, and made a centerpiece with a jar of cracker jack boxes and old glory.
  
 Mike and Amanda were up north, and Charlotte was at home packing.  Jon came with his girls, and Kris, Doug and Penny came by.  Jon worked the grill with burgers and brats, Penny liked my choice of baked Lays chips and cheetos in little bags.  We even enjoyed tiny drumstick cones.  

   
The girls were dressed in red white and blue, with cousin Penny in a beautiful blue frock.  


We laughed about silly things, and got friends involved by text.  The girls danced and played.
You have never seen more serious dancing by two 16 month old girls.  So much twirling, and bouncing! Penny makes them laugh just by showing her face.  


Stevie carried around a photo of Tyke and I from our youth.  She loved it, and didn't want to put it down.  Grandpa is talked about and remembered.  The girls get snuggles from Auntie Kristen in Grandpa's chair. Nothing makes Kris as happy as holding a sleeping baby.  I concur.  There is peace and pure contentment there.


We are still working on the house and Jon took a carload of stuff to be donated.  I am almost finished emptying my craft room and office.  Oi Vey, the stuff I have.  My bathroom has a new subfloor and is ready for flooring.  Makes my head spin.



I mentioned fireworks, these were mine.  Penny and I went to the deck after dark and watched lighting bugs, so many of them all over our tree and in the grass.  Neighbors were putting on their own firework shows, and the full Moon was spectacular. Precious moments with this amazing girl.
She's got the biggest heart and grownup thoughts.  What a way to end a really nice day. 


These little beauties.  Lil' Firecrackers!  I love the way Stevie is looking at Irene.  Stevie is always smiling, but Irene's smiles, those big toothy grins are reserved for Daddy who is taking the photo.  So much fun these two, filled with energy, and mischief.  Listening to music with them a song caught my heart and I started to cry.  Stevie actually wiped my tears, and they both looked at me with so much love.  I know they are a part of Tyke and that he is still here with me through all three of our granddaughters. 

"Unable to perceive the shape of you, I find you all around me.
Your presence fills my eyes with your love, 
it humbles my heart, for you are everywhere."
Guillermo del Toro

Take care my friends.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny






2 comments:

Eileen in Fla. said...

So glad you got a hint of holiday spirit. That Penny looks so much like you - what a wonderful family. Can't wait to hear your plans after the renovation.

Lynne said...

Those girls . . .
Penny growing up and more serious and the ”littles” all mischief and joy.
What fun ...
Happy you enjoyed the day, what a hostess you are!
Love Love . . .