Monday, April 24, 2017

A Lonely Week, A Friend Filled Weekend

More beautiful bounty from SIL Elizabeth.
Just off a week with my dearest traveling.  All the time in the world to do whatever I want.  Seems all I want is his company, especially at bedtime.  I used my time reading two books, crocheting, trying to get familiar with my daughter's sewing machine.  I am driving again for the first time in months.  I drove to the city to help my daughter.  I am a homebody and getting worst as I get older.  I felt adventurous and brave, making the 30 mile trip into Chicago, and tired after a not even rush hour one and a half hour ride home.  Soon the work week was over and an equally tired husband was home safe, and we SLEPT.
We had a busy weekend, visiting long time friends for a evening of slides, pizza and music. Dear pals Ron, Sue, Dot and Kev have been our friends since grade school.  We been through it all together.  Growing up together, sharing our families as kids, meeting our spouses, marrying, children, loosing our parents.  Sharing the best and worst times of our lives together.
Sue and Laury, who live in California, round out the group of forever friends. We are so blessed to have been friends for decades.  I was a latecomer to the group, so I've only known them for 49 years.  Ron and Kev have been friends since kindergarten.  Sue and Sue almost as long.

The slides were trips Kev took in the '70's and some family pics of Sue and Ron's family.  I brought some nostalgic music, The Association, Chicago, Yes, John Denver, of course.  Where does the time go?  Good Friends, good times.
 Here is the shawl I just finished.  The pattern is called corner to corner.  Check out the great video tutorials by Mikey at The Crochet Crowd on YouTube.
 It;s just double crochets!
 Sunday we hosted yet another brunch, this time for our dear pal Laura and her hubby Phil.  I had pastries I put in the freezer from Easter, whipped up a overnight casserole I popped into the oven.
 There are hundreds of recipes, but this one is a favorite.  Bread, eggs, cheese, sausage, whipping cream and a few spices.  An hour in the oven and it looks like you fussed.

We filled our plates and sat on the deck all afternoon. Snacking on fresh fruit and a large container of Easter candy, we talked and laughed.  It was a perfect day for visiting.  The birds flying to our fountain, a gentle breeze with the scent of apple blossoms.  Our little meadow filled with purple flowers and tiny white violets.

Laura came into my life via my brother Jeff.  About 29 years ago, Jeff had a traumatic brain injury. When we rushed to the hospital, a young girl approached me.  She said she was Jeff's girlfriend.
They hadn't been dating long and we had never met.  In fact Jeff had never mentioned her.
Laura stood by Jeff's side, and my side during his long recovery.  (And recover he did, a miracle) We became very good friends, but when Jeff and Laura broke up, I refused to.  I had lost a few friends that way with four brothers, and would not give up my friendship.  Time passes and life changes, but we've managed to stay close all these years.
" Just call out my name, and you know wherever I am, I'll come running, to see you again...
Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall, all you have to do is call...I will be there, yes I will, you've got a friend."
-Carole King

A Saturday trip to the thrift, and I scored this hand thrown jug, the small covered jar, and the salt cellar is from none other that my SIL Elizabeth.  Yes I am spoiled.

Thanks for stopping by and for your friendship, 
it means the world to me.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Oh my . . . More time in the kitchen!
You make it sound easy and always with cheer.
How wonderful you could spend time with friends, nothing better .
And sunshine, outdoors, . . . wonderful.
And driving into the city . . .
You go girl!

Melanie said...

I wish I knew you were alone last week - so was I! Brian was in CA, visiting his sister. Though I had PT and some other things going on. Driving into Chicago is nerve-wracking, isn't it? I had to drive Brian to and from Midway. Going there actually wasn't bad...coming home was a nightmare. I'd never picked up a passenger at Midway before and I ended up in the limo and bus lane! I was mortified and terrified...there was a limo driver behind me pointing to the car lane to the left. But there was nothing I could do - there was a barrier! There was an employee there moving traffic along and I rolled down my window and apologized. Explained I'd never been there before. She just laughed and said it was OK. And then the traffic on the expressway was awful. I was a bundle of nerves.

Anyway...talk soon? Hopefully we can finally visit?!