Monday, October 30, 2017

Bucket List, The Baha'i House of Worship

 After over forty years of driving past and  admiring the stunning Baha'i House of Worship from afar,
my dearest and I parked and visited for the first time.
 Standing at the bottom of the stairs, I was awestruck.  To say it is beautiful is an understatement, it is divine.
The Baha'i Faith is an independent world Religion.  I was actually introduced to this religion by the music of Seals and Crofts in the 1970's.  They were public advocates of the Baha'i Faith and many of their songs reflected the themes of peace, freedom of prejudice, equality of men and women, all principles of their faith. 
 The grounds were beautifully landscaped and a friendly and enthusiastic security guard greeted us warmly. He told us how the grounds were beautiful in every season, and we told him that we have been passing by for many many years and have admired it's beauty in every season over the years.
 My reaction to actually being on the steps was to cry.  The beauty struck my heart.  It was a such a beautiful day, and we had just walked on the beach at the Lake, and my sweetheart was equally amazed and filled with wonder.
 The building itself was all cast with concrete and quartz.  The whole of it sparkles in the sunlight.

 The gardens are still lovely at the end October.
 It was humbling to stand and admire the exquisite beauty.  It's so much bigger and  more intricate
than a drive by glance can capture.

 We went inside to the most quiet and respectful interior.  There were other people in the room but it was absolutely quiet. Not the hollow sound of an empty church, but peace.  We sat, amazed and felt for lack of a better word, God.  No photos are allowed inside.  This photo was from a display in the visitors center.
 There is no admission fee, there was free parking, and in fact, they do not accept donations from anyone not of the Baha'i Faith. Everyone is invited, open daily to all for prayer and meditation. 


We will not pass by again without visiting. 
 It was moving, spiritual and an amazing experience for us both.
My admiration for this place has increased, it is a treasure and a gift, and right on Lake Michigan.


 Here's a few photos from earlier i the day at the Lake.














Just one lonely sailboat, one surfer and my eagle eyed darling saw another boat way out in the choppy water.  The water temperature was 55 and the air temp was about 39 degrees.
As you can see we had the beach to ourselves.
That close to God feeling I had starts in nature, and the Lake restores me.

Some vintage textiles.
 An accidental rummage sale, meaning we accidentally ran into one in our Saturday travels.
 I used to make dolls just like this one.  I have an Amish inspired quilt I made many years back, and she will be a perfect accent.  I have to watch Penny though, she said she could draw a face on her for me.
 I loved this little bucket, a certain other Penny does too. We were on Face Time or she would already have it.  I can't resist string.
This beautiful duvet set went home with Mikey.  I went to a Registering Fair, I guess that's what they are called at a local store.  Amanda was out of town and Mike asked if I would go with him.
Shopping is not my idea of having fun, but when your baby boy asks you out, YOU GO!
It was a nice experience.  Mike picked out many nice things, and many of the companies gave out gifts to the bride and groom.  The lovely lady that took us around thought I deserved a few gifts too.
I came home with some loot... a paring knife,  a whisk, serving spoon and ice cream scoop plus sweet memories of spending time with my baby boy. (Pssst..he's gonna be 33 next week.O M  Goodness!)
I received these Hollyhock seeds from my new friend Mary.  We met in the summer during our visit to the UP of Michigan, and I asked for seeds within the first five minutes of meeting her. I had purchased a card she photographed with Hollyhocks on it, and she said the flowers were hers.  I apologized later, I really have a hard time asking for things, (except more grandchildren;-)  but I must have felt instantly comfortable to ask.  Anyway, thanks Mary.  Looking forward to seeing Mary again next summer, and having a garden of amazing Hollyhocks too.

Thank you for stopping by and for your friendship and kindness.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Good morning, Penny - I love how you and your hubby enjoy walks at the Lake quite often. It's so beautiful and peaceful, isn't it? Sure wish I lived closer. I'd probably be walking there every day.

I was surprised to read that you hadn't ever toured the Bahai Temple! I've been there quite a few times - the first time being when I was a teenager and lived in Skokie. Definitely another place I wish I lived closer to, as I'd be there often to just sit and meditate and pray in that beautiful space.

I've been thinking about you a lot...I was in your area a couple of times these past few weeks. Hope you are well. Would love to see you again soon. A possibility! If you get a chance, please email me.
xoxo

Unknown said...

Hi penny. I’ve never been in the Baha’i Temple either Only to see it from passing by. It looks beautiful. The lake looks calming and peaceful.
You always find the greatest treasures 😘💐😄