Wednesday, December 27, 2017

A White Christmas has it's problems too.

I'm dreaming of a White Christmas
Just like the one's I used to know...
The tree tops were glistening, but the roads were bad, so bad that my oldest brother Tony and his family turned around after sitting in traffic for a half hour without going anywhere.  Sadly they spent Christmas Eve at home.
My brother Jeff has strep so he and Emma stayed home too.
They were all really missed.  It was the first time we have ever had snow related absence.
The luminaria were lit and we waited for the rest of our family to arrive.
 All the cookie trays were delivered earlier in the week.
 The tables were set.
 The family room looked especially magical.
 I used wrapping paper on the tables since we were entertaining on Christmas day for brunch and then again for dinner.  I know, crazy, right? 
 Little gifts for the older kids and the ladies who would visit.
 No china here.  We were expecting 31 for Christmas Eve.
 Showing off my tea kettle.  Haven't had one for years, but so handy to fill the carafe of hot water for hot chocolate. 
 A sweet gift from a sweet friend.
Found this at Hob Lob.  It was also on the cover of a flyer from Pottery Barn. ($69.00 at Pottery Barn, $20.00 at Hob Lob on sale 50% off, I got one for Elizabeth too.)  Worked perfectly to corral all the coffee paraphernalia.

 Little touches in the kitchen brightened things up.
 Jelly from the Monks at the Abbey in the UP of Michigan.
 Found this bag at the dollar store.  Might find a frame for it next year.  It's so vintagey.  Here it's hiding my box of Quaker Oats!
 The Dining Room.  Cookies still wrapped from the garage.  In recent years it's been too warm to store the cookies in there.   Not this year...today the wind chill is 20 below!
 The music canvas I did a few years ago.  I found the banner at the dollar spot at Target and the wrapping paper I used on the tables, also music related, was from the Hob Lob.  Not planned, totally serendipity.
 The little tree in the living room.  One of our guests mentioned how sweet it was that it matched the tree in the family room.  Never even realized that.
 All the Churches lit up...
 and my favorite accidental vignette of all Christmas.
 Here's the guy who makes it all possible.  He cannot  resist making a crazy face. This guy, opens our home to the family.  The kindest, most generous and silliest guy. Love of my life. My real Santa.
 We kissed many times during all the celebrating...
 but never here. ;-) You owe me one babe.
I have to mention this shirt.  I found it at the thrift.  It is covered in fishing flies.  I don't think this man has ever fished, but it was  a quality shirt by Ralph Lauren and  my guy loves it.
A visiting baby friend named Henry found the most comfortable spot.  My sweetheart held him for about 2 hours while he slept.(Henry was fighting the sandman, but my honey has the touch.)  I don't know who was happier, Henry or this guy.

We had a great Christmas Eve.  All the cousins from St Louis came, so a certain girl named Penny was so very happy.  All my kids except Amanda were with us, Amanda went home to the UP with a tray of cookies from my kitchen.  Charlotte took home a tray on Christmas day to her family in Indiana.  My cookies get around.  Favorite moment, when my great niece saw me eyeing one of her gifts as we played the stealing round of a game we play..."Auntie Penny, you've known me all of my life! You can't steal from me!"  We all had a good laugh, and no..I did not steal from her.

On Christmas Day we hosted a brunch for Kristen's good friend Lizz and her family.  They have two beautiful boys, one is Penny's good friend Guy and the above mentioned Henry, sweet little baby. Jacob, Lizz's husband,  and his parents from Kentucky joined us and  also his sweet sister.  I had prepared a casserole earlier in the week that I froze and baked in the morning. I made scrambled eggs and bacon, hash browns, fruit salad and bagels and muffins with orange marmalade.  I also put on a pot of chicken soup, since our dinner on Christmas day is casual soup and whatever is left over from Christmas Eve. (We had plenty, a large lasagna and chicken) We had a nice visit, a comfortable afternoon with lovely people cozy under throws and even a nap or two.

Later after our friends went back to the city, Elizabeth and Greg and the boys came for dinner.  Jon and Charlotte were in Indiana, Tracy and Tyler and the girls were on their way home.  Just the closest family together for a quiet evening. 

I can't believe I pulled it off.  I had some (a lot) of anxiety about three separate meals in a short period of time, but it all worked.  Cookies and fruitcake for dessert, a pot of coffee on, and the warmth of family and friends filled the house.

By the next morning, all the dishes were done, platters and bowls put away.  The last of the boxes and wrapping paper in the recycling.  I was still opening gifts, sharing tidbits of conversations with my guy.  Sharing different funny things the kids said, and did. Our girl opening her gifts and letting out a scream when she opened the one she always wanted.  All the hugs and kisses shared with my dear nieces and nephews, grown into beautiful people with interesting happy lives.  My brothers, my SIL's.   especially my kids, God I love them all.  So funny and kind and loving to me and Dad but especially to each other. All my Christmas dreams came true!

On to the new year and I ask, as I do every year past the year 2000...WHERE'S MY FLYING CAR?

Happy Year dear friends.  Enjoy this beautiful day.

Love, Penny

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Oh my Penny . . .
Not sure how you pull it all off ...
But you do, year after year, after year.
One amazing woman . . .
Merry Christmas . . .
Rest up the rest of the days of 2017!