Monday, September 17, 2018

As Summer Ends

 Kris and Doug bought us tickets to see the great Michael Nesmith of Monkee fame at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago.  The Old town School is in the old Hild Library.  A library that my dearest visited occasionally during his school years. The man's s genius but has never been a bookworm.;-)
 The library has been turned into a great venue for music.
 This Works Progress Administration mural graced the library. The W.P.A. was created to provide economic relief to citizens of the U.S. suffering through the Great Depression.  Is was great to see this work of art preserved in it's new venue.
 Mike Nesmith, or Papa Nez as he is affectionately called did not disappoint.  Just ten weeks from quadruple bypass surgery, his voice was strong and clear and his good humor was shared by the entire crowd.
 He sang with the First National Band consisting of some great artists including two of his sons.
The only Monkee song he sang, was one he wrote for the band, Papa Gene's Blues, from the first Monkee album.  I got emotional when everyone sang along.  I was eleven years old when the Monkees first came on TV.  I was a crazy fan, my room covered in posters and pictures from magazines like Tiger Beat and 16 magazine.  I was a member of an exclusive Monkee club. (Four girls in grade school who sang Monkee songs after lunch behind the church.) I was Micky Dolenz, but grew to appreciate Mike and his music the most as I grew older. 

I made a pillow for Mike featuring this photo he posted on his Facebook page. Mike and his Mom back in Texas when he was young.
Then, when we changed cars I forgot it in our car.  I will mail it to him, a token of appreciation for over 50 years of great music and fun.

Who's that handsome guy taking in some Sunday sunshine?
 Wow, if Buscia (my grandma) could see my coleus.  I always thought it was a house plant because Buscia always had a least a couple of pots growing in her window.
 The squirrels have played in the fairy garden. 
 The angel vine is lush and beautiful.
"Sunshine on my shoulders, makes me happy.  Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry."
-John Denver
 Some pots are happier in late summer.

 Some, like marigolds wait to put on their best show on in the cool of Autumn.
Still have to harvest my herbs.
The boys giving their Dad a lift.

Thanks for stopping by and for your kindness.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

1 comment:

Lynne said...

You are inspiring me to get ouidoors and do some snipping, cutting, grooming . . .
BUT . . . the mosquitos have exploded and I am holding back.
I do have some plants to bring indoors.
Going to try and “winter” a few!
Happy fall Penny . . . Get ready for some cooler . . .
Gorgeous weather here this past weekend for the Irish Festival.
Oh my, oh my . . . great, grand music!