Monday, February 24, 2020

On the Cusp

 Here I sit with spring on the screen and a winter snowstorm in my future.  

Flowers from my dear pals Jean and Tom
 A winter storm watch is in effect with the forecast of 8 to 12 inches of snow.  The house is stocked with just about everything I might need until I feel brave enough to venture out.  In the mean time, I have many things needing my attention.  I have the aches and pains of the morning after playing with and taking care of my baby grands.  They are changing by the hour, now signing (baby sign language) food, more, blowing kisses and toothy smiles as big as the sun.  We were able to take walks with the weather being very mild this weekend.  We heard birds and I signed bird while making the sign. touching your index finger to your thumb in an action like a bird's beak.  I know by the next time they visit it will be in their little vocabularies. 

The beautiful heart with the key was a gift from my
sister of the heart, Carmella.
 Our plans, by our, I mean Penny and myself, had to be cancelled when Penny's bad cold kept her home with Mom and Dad.  We missed the owls and raptors we have been seeing every year since Penny moved back from New York. Penny assured me it was OK, that we will go next year.

 I spent a little time taking down all the Valentine touches around the house and getting out some greenery.  It's all the green I'll be seeing for a while if the forecast is correct.

 Sunrises and 

Sunsets fly by.  

This is how things work for me, can you relate?  I saw an advertisement about a local venue and a appearance of A.J. Croce.  The show is called Croce Plays Croce.  If you are a person of a certain age, I just turned 65, Jim Croce was a top artist in my day.  So this lead me to find out about A.J., Jim's son and lead me to his music and in turn his Dad's music and then a book about Jim Croce written by his wife Ingrid.  On iTunes I got to read the first few pages, 
with the Foreword by Arlo Guthrie.

"There is no one I'd trust more to tell my story than my long-time love, wife and partner.  Ingrid has not--and never will--give death an ounce of sympathy or retreat one little bit from the full acknowledgement of what love truly is: a part of herself in the form of Jim Croce.  The details of this book are about Jim and Ingrid, but the story is about anyone who has had the good fortune and unbelievable luck to find someone who will tell it with love."

This story now ultimately leads me to Tyke, and how I was never able to put into words how I felt...
The full acknowledgement of what love truly is: a part of myself in the form of Tyke Willoughby.
It was good fortune and unbelievable luck to find Tyke.
So, all the stories I write with or without mentioning Tyke by name, includes him.


"If I had a box just for wishes
And dreams that had never come true
The box would be empty
Except for the memory
Of how they were answered by you"


-Lyrics by Jim Croce

Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comments and just plain kindness and love.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

3 comments:

Lynne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynne said...

I love your posts Penny . . .
Your style and stories.
You make real things real
and remind me to love, appreciate, care.

You and Tyke were made of the same fold.
You had love, kindness, laughter, faith, family down pat.
Where Tyke bent, you blended, maybe visa versa too.

You love snow . . .
maybe Tyke is helping to send one more snowfall just for you?
Keep your eyes on the storm . . . and look for the glitzing . . .
grab each “sparkle” . . . remember . . .

love love
lynne
(sorry about the delete, saw an error!)

Melanie said...

I love how you said, "the full acknowledgement of what love truly is: a part of myself in the form of Tyke Willoughby." That is just perfect.

I am 7-8 years younger than you, but I certainly do remember Jim Croce and always liked his music.

The latest update on the storm coming our way is that it has now shifted south. We are so glad for this news because Tim is here right now, visiting from CA. His plane leaves O'Hare tomorrow afternoon to go back to CA and we were afraid he'd be stranded at the airport. Maybe now things will be OK.

xoxo