Monday, April 6, 2020

Another Day at Home




We are well. Family strong.  Rounds of FaceTimes and calls.  Deliveries of well wishes from so many. A neighbor called yesterday, noticing I had not walked in a couple of days.  My back, though much better, is still keeping me close to home.  A online concert featuring forever friends brought many pals together.  They arranged a Zoom conference call that I was so happy to attend.


These friends are so very special to me.  Sue and Laury, Sue and Ron and Dot and Kevin.  We've been friends for over 50 years. Notice they are all couples, and now without my love, I was afraid of how I would react to us being virtually together again.  I wanted to do something fun so I made a virtual brunch.  Baked muffins, poured my carton of orange juice into a pitcher.  I garnished my wine glasses with a orange slice and put out the closest thing I have to champagne.  Just something silly to lighten my mood and hopefully my friends would like the joke.


 It wasn't necessary since we fell into our friendly banter.  We talked of grandchildren, jobs and hobbies.  We talked for over two hours.  


So happy to see everyone doing their best to stay safe, scolding those that are impatient, planning to meet at another mini concert later this week.  Funny thing, I sent a text and photo after our call to Sue and Sue, saying that they didn't eat a thing.  Sue K. never saw the table, missed when I showed it in the beginning of the call!  It was fun and silly, but I do turn 16 again when I am with these special friends. Tyke came up when my friend remarked that they were surprised that I got on the call without help.  Cosmic high five sweetie!  You taught me well. 

Missed Tyke howling at the Moon for me.

 I looked at the clear night sky from my window, and looked up the times when the International Space Station might be passing.  Lucky me at 8:19 I was out watching.  It is a amazing sight, one that never fails to thrill.  I was able to lean on my car and get a steady photo of the moon.  
How beautiful is that?


 If you enlarge this pic, look between the tree limbs, and that little glimmer of light is the ISS!


Sunrise this morning.  I woke up to a call from Jon on his way to work and then a FaceTime with his girls who were doing their first virtual physical therapy at home today.  Mike had a virtual appointment with his doctor and got the medication he needs in this allergy season.  Visits with friends, Penny playing games with her cousins in another state. Thank goodness for technology.

I feel a connection to all of those families who have lost loved ones to this virus.  Until your life is turned upside down and inside out by the loss of a loved one,  nothing can prepare you for what lies ahead.  Today, no one has the answers, but we must stay close.  Together as families, friends, neighbors and especially to those who are in need.  It's such a helpless feeling, but I am encouraged by the outpouring of kindness.  The news is mostly off at home, music helps so much.  I am doing a little Easter preparation, just for myself.  I started my wheat grass today, the muffins went to Mikey and Amanda with some for the freezer.  It will hurt to be alone, but I would do anything to keep my family safe, and they in turn to keep this old girl kickin.  

Let fate do her worst,
there are relics of joy,
which she cannot destroy,
That come in the nighttime
of sorrow and care
And bring back the features
that joy used to wear.

Long, long be my heart
with such memories filled,
Let the vase in which roses
have once been distilled;
You may break, you may shatter
the vase if you will
But the scent of the roses
will hang around still.

-Thomas Moore


"We will get through this."

-Tyke Willoughby

Thank you for your friendship, be well dear ones.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

I love this, Penny. Your time with your friends sounds so good and so very healthy and beneficial. We need our friends and family, wether it is online or in person, and in person isn't exactly an option these days. We had our first virtual happy hour with friends last week and it just felt good to be with people we can talk with so easily and share the fears and concerns we have. I know what you mean about people you feel like you are 16 with again!

I'm so glad you did this. I'm going to start some Easter prep this week too. It will just be Rick and me -- six feet apart -- but it may mean more than ever before.