Monday, March 30, 2020

Spare a Moment for Sorrow


 I used the title of an article I just read from the Atlantic by John Dickerson.  It really resonated with me, these last eight months have been so very sad and these weeks past and those ahead are alarming.

"If you have ever lost someone you loved, you know the feeling of seeing the world through a bank teller's glass.  You observe other people laughing and enjoying their day, but you are apart from them, separated by a thick, bulletproof barrier.  You wonder how can they savor that plate of pasta or play music that loud, given what's happened."

   
He said, "We are all on the same side of the glass in the new corona virus world." 
I am, like you, overwhelmed.  The sadness, the fear, the isolation. The losses.  Those numbers are of people, who lived and loved and died from his virus. A moment for sorrow.



 I had to walk and find signs of life, signs of hope.


 Last year the peonies bloomed and I wept over them.
(If ever would I leave you, how could it be in springtime...)


 This year, I fear for my children and grandchildren. My brothers and sisters in law, nieces and nephews.   My friends, dear friends, old like me, in the high risk group. also my young friends, the whippersnappers.  We are all at risk.



 Looking for a break from the sadness.


Signs of new life.


The hope that spring will be followed by a healthy summer.


That the isolation, the loneliness will be replaced with gatherings filled with hugs and kisses, jokes and laughs. Little girls running through the grass. 


Greeting my neighbors, without crossing the street.  Shaking a hand, hugging a friend.
Having a house full of noise and food and slumber parties.  Toys everywhere and ten pairs of shoes at the door.  

  Reaching out. Knowing how many good and generous people inhabit the earth.   Remembering the life we lived before this, never taking anything for granted.  


 "Spring reminds us that not all is lost, in fact, it comes back around again, no sooner or later than nature intends."
  

Sending love out into the world.  We are all in this together, we are not alone.
This too shall pass.


Be well, take care.  Thank you for your caring.

Enjoy this day, find something beautiful in it.

Love, Penny

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

This is so beautifully written. You are not alone in fearing another loss of someone you love through this plague. But being together doesn't eliminate the fear. We stay strong. We stay in. We try to make others stay in. We take care of each other's hearts. Stay strong, my friend.