Monday, April 11, 2016

Spring Struggle


Oh how Spring wants to blossom in all it's glory, but Winter still has a hold on us.  Snowstorms just pop up and melt before you can remember to take yet another photo of snow in April.  Today the weather has turned mild.  Just in time for opening day of Cubs baseball here in Chicago.
The buds on my white lilac are ready, just a warm day or two is all they need to blossom.

Started a project last week that I have yet to complete.  I've seen so many cool bags made out of feed sacks, but I thought I could make a cool bag from these Ikea rugs.  They are just a few dollars and the perfect neutral.
 I started by cutting off the fringe, folding  the rug in half and sewing the sides together.
 The rug is not as thick as it looks and was easy to sew through.
Then to make a square bottom so the bag stands, I sewed across the side seam about three inches from the bottom.
 I did not trim the rug fabric because I didn't want it to fray.
 Pretty easy.  Then I did the same steps with a fabric cut to the same size as the rug , with a few inches added to make a lining I could fold over.
 Now to add a strap and some other finishing touches.  I'll post when they are complete.  One is for Kris and one for me.

 Found a few cute things at the thrift for our girl...
 and a couple of things for me.

In family news...We have a new great niece, here to be known as baby beans.  This beautiful little sweetheart was born last week and went a whole day without a name!  Now she has a beautiful name and two amazing sisters.  We are so excited to meet her and get some sweet newborn baby time.  Is there anything sweeter than a newborn baby?  In other news, son in law Doug had surgery on Friday.  All went well and their little sweetie, our babygrand spent some time with good old grandma and grandpa.  Rainy cold weather kept us inside, doing art projects, playing and pretending.  We are getting into some routines when Penny visits that include some "quiet time" in the afternoon.  Otherwise known as nap time, but no muss no fuss when we just sit quietly and Penny falls asleep in my arms.  It's bliss!

Company today, back to sewing tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping by and enjoy this beautiful day!

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Oh my . . . you never stop . . .
Great idea with the IKEArugs made into market/shopping bags!
Aren't cuddles, chance to hold, just the best!