Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Easter and other miracles...


Oh Easter, how I look forward to you each year.  We've had our problems as of late.  My dearest was back at the hospital for a routine procedure and we ended up staying overnight.  It was early Good Friday when we returned home.  The question, could we pull off brunch for 20 in less than 48 hours?

The house was already cleaned and decorated.

Bunnies and a couple of ducks lined the stairs.

Blooming bulbs in the foyer.

The table set in the family room.

The groceries were already purchased, several cakes were made earlier in the week.

The muscari were potted.

The wheat grass was growing.

Pansies too.

The glittery chicks on the tables.

The fireplace all decked out.

Even a little Lavender display.


Everything was ready,  except for us.

We talked about cancelling, but we couldn't disappoint the family.

So I made my casseroles, and potatoes.  Coleslaw and Ambrosia.  Store bought pierogi and bagels.
We had bacon, Polish sausage and ham.
Scrambled eggs and Door County Potatoes.
Mindy brought her famous deviled eggs.
Elizabeth brought me flowers.
Mikey brought the ice and Amanda brought me more beautiful flowers.

Kris and Doug brought the veggie tray and fruit.  My dearest rolled up the ham and folded the dishtowels that came out of the dryer. We never made it to the basket blessing, but I hope the ancestors understood.

My dear friend Mary brought her traditional Lamb Cake for us to enjoy.

And, bingo bango we had Easter!
Grateful to be together, (except for Jon and Charlotte and the twins who are still too tiny for travel.)
grateful to be home, and for the most beautiful weather on Easter day in recent memory.

The only mishap, the egg hunt.  We filled the eggs with quarters, dollars, one five dollar bill and one ten dollar bill.  The cousins were ready! When the hunt was over, no one had the ten dollar egg.
Even the grownups joined the hunt.  No luck.
Yesterday, I cleaned out the fountain, a job I didn't have the time or energy to do before our guests arrived.  I found the egg in the watering can on the fountain, with the ten dollar bill safely inside.
 Even Doug who hid the eggs didn't find it.  How wonderful when the cousins are together.  
Next year six girls will be hunting eggs! 

My great niece Teya brought me a gift.  When she was little I called her my Little Bird here on the blog.  She will be 11 soon.  She made me a Suzy Snowflake figure out of all natural materials.  When she was very small, I made her a Suzy Snowflake that hung from a stick that she could make dance.  It broke and we said that we would someday make another. Teya decided to make one for me.  It touched my heart, that she remembered and that she though of me.  Sometimes I am sad that she doesn't remember all the fun things we did together, so it was especially wonderful.
What a special gift from a special girl.

When Penny was leaving she didn't want to go.  She held on to me, and told me she wanted to stay.  
I felt very loved.

My dearest, on the mend, enjoyed the festivities, and so did all of our guests.
I don't know how we did it, but we did.
Alleluia! 

Thanks for stopping by and for your friendship.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

1 comment:

Lynne said...

You manage to make it happen,year after year!
Makes it a challenge when you are suddenly sitting in a hospital room.
I hope all is well . . .
Your family “stepped up” the family Easter . . .
I remember your posts about Little Bird when I first met you!
These years have been flying by.