Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Happy Feet

We are so fortunate to live in a area with open spaces around us. Growing up in Chicago, you learn to appreciate green space. Most of the green space I saw growing up was the lawns and trees in the parkway. Living in the suburbs, is a different world. Our yard is huge compared to a city lot. We have Forest Preserves, a golf course and a large reservoir with acres of land a short walk from our home. We walk the reservoir, really a path that was worn by vehicles that maintain the land there. It's a beautiful place to walk. Always breezy, since it is the high spot in the neighborhood, but hard on the body with all the ruts and grooves to navigate. We recently saw some equipment up on the path and lines painted on the turf. With the cool weather, we've happily walked the neighborhood and haven't been up to the reservoir for a couple of weeks. Well, something I never though would happen did. They paved the walking path! I was giddy when we walked up to the entrance, and realized that we had a path. We laughed and I whooped and my hubby and I high fived! Our tax dollars at work, and me with happy feet!

Our town is a soccer mecca, with huge tournaments that cover the whole town. I'm sure that's why we got the track. So that safety vehicles could get to all parts of the fields. Though, I like to think they did it for us, for my honey and me. We are up there in the heat and the freezing cold to walk, and at night to see the Space Shuttle or the International Space Station fly by. So many times we've had the place to ourselves, and now we will have to share it. Still, I couldn't be happier about it. I hope that where ever you live, you have a special place to walk and feel the wind and enjoy nature.


While you are upon earth, enjoy the good things that are here.

John Selden


Posted by Picasa

No comments: