Thursday, June 14, 2012

Everything's Coming Up Raspberries!!

 
Raspberries have invaded my Annabelle hydrangea bush!  This has been a problem for a number of years.  I usually pull all the canes I can, but this year they got a very early start with the warm weather we had in March.  They are taking over.  Now the dilemma, do I try to get rid of the raspberries, or let the fruit mature, make jelly and then pull em? 

 
Looks like we'll have a bumper crop of both hydrangeas and raspberries.

 
It looks bad now, but once the fruit ripens...  I can't stop thinking about how good the jelly was last year. 
I spent $$ on raspberries to supplement the few that grew last year.


 
You need heavy gloves and strong hands and back to pull up the prickly raspberry canes.

 
Any volunteers?  I didn't think so.  Raspberry and Ivory, live together in perfect harmony...sing along!  Have a great day my friends. 

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Jill said...

My love of raspberries says leave 'em. :)

savvycityfarmer said...

are you open for pickers???


yummmmmm

Suzanne said...

Oh, I feel your pain. This year I battled wild gooseberries which have the worst thorns I've ever seen in my life!

Our Hopeful Home said...

What a windfall! Our bush is nowhere near as big and full as yours is, so lucky! Two times the harvest, too! Enjoy.