Monday, September 10, 2012

Caramel Corn Favors

 
What beautiful fall weather we are having here in Chicagoland.  This is my time to craft, sew, bake, decorate and make caramel corn.  I needed a few favors for my dear Em's birthday party.  I had everything at home to make these cute favor bags filled with delicious caramel corn, just like Mom used to make for us when we were kids.  I saw all four of my brothers, and not one of them remembered Mom making this...asking my familiar question...
Are we from the same family?
Here's the recipe...

One cup of butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup karo syrup (So far what's not to like)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 quarts popped corn
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan,
add everything except the baking soda and vanilla
bring to a boil stirring constantly
boil without stirring for 5 minutes (medium heat)
Remove from heat and add the soda and vanilla
(this makes it foam up)
pour on popped corn spread on
a parchment lined baking pan
bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour
stir every 15 minutes
cool and then enjoy

 
I stamped some paper sandwich bags with this bird stamp.  I know I saw bags stamped this way on Pinerest, but I couldn't find it when I looked.  Why would I pin something I liked, right?
I am not always firing on all cylinders.
Hey, who's peeking out from under my supplies...
Another project, WIP.
The StazOn ink is the only one that
 will work on the slick surface of the bags.
(BTW, I bought mine in NY, but
Whole Foods might carry them here.)

 
A hole punch, some butchers twine, and some reinforcers
 for the hole is all you need, to close up these bags


 
Everyone at Em's party loved the caramel corn.

 
Someone asked, "Beside all the butter,
what other bad things for you are in this?"
I said, "LOTS."  With only one cup or so per package,
no one will be in sugar shock...
Just hide the bowl of leftovers!!! ;-)
Enjoy this beautiful day my friends!


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Lynne said...

I learned how to make something like this earlier this year . . . and have Ben on a sugar buzz since. Talk about yummy! Great designs and treats for the party favors . . .

Gail Peterson said...

So pretty! Where did you find the large stamp? Would love to find out!
Going to try the recipe!
Happy Fall ****
I grew up in the same area north of chicago... LOVE it in the fall,I visit every year!
xo,
Gail
http://www.casualloveselegance.blogspot.com