Friday, October 26, 2012

Recycled Pumpkin Cans

 
Since the first cool days set in here in English Valley, I've been baking...making pumpkin bread, pumpkin coffee cake...  Bringing it to meetings, service nights, home with my son and enjoying it here at home.
I always wash out and save the cans from the pumpkin...I've used them for floral arrangements, a vessel to hold a poured candle, and now as a cute presentation for a hand towel.

 
 I found this beautiful graphic of Le Citrouille on Pinterest, that took me to Confessions of a Plate Addict and a free image.  I used my old standby transfer paper in my printer to make 6 transfers.
Ironing them on is easy and quick.  The towels are flour sack towels, that I washed to insure a good transfer.


 
Rolling them up,


 
putting them in the cans,


 
and gluing the lids back on.  I have that kind of can opener that unseals the can from the sides, letting you replace the lid back on the can.


 I ran a bead of Aleene's Tacky glue around the edge of the lid, careful so no glue dripped into the can.
Then before I put the lid on, I adder a hang tag with a photo of the graphic and a description.

 I used clear labels to put the description into the little hang tag. (Some clever people know how to do this in one step...alas, I am not one of them, thus the labels.)
 I got this StazOn white opaque stamp pad for another project, but thought that a greeting on the clear bag would be a nice finishing touch.

 I had the perfect stamp.


 It looks good, not too fussy. 


One way to recycle your pumpkin cans, but any can would do...
Just remove the labels and use scrapbook paper.  There you have it...A nice hostess gift for the cook on Thanksgiving!

We've got company today, woo hoo.  Dear son Jon and beautiful Charlotte.  A crock pot dinner and a little baking...pumpkin cake anyone?  ;-)   Sweet Mike is off today too, oh how I love a house full of family!

Have a great weekend my friends!


Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Jill said...

Penny! This is darling! Love the many uses for the cans which I have never thought of.

Lynne said...

Penny,
Do you stay awake at night dreaming of ideas? Amazing!

I will never ever find the time to do everything you suggest and everything everyone else suggests.

(I do think I will make a candle though in my Libby pumpkin can.I went looking for wick and couldn't find any, suggestions of where?)
Love, Lynne

The Feathered Nest said...

This is the most WONDERFUL idea Penny!!! I just love it...I hope you are doing so good dear friend, I'm finally feeling really good!!! Thank you always, always for your friendship and concern, you are precious ~ hugs and love, Dawn

babs said...

You are so brilliant!

Our Hopeful Home said...

These are fabulous! You should sell them! So glad you had a house full of family tonight:)