Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Love Story

 
While crafting, I am constantly looking for things.  I put things away in such a way that it's like a treasure hunt.  I never know what I may find.  Today I found this letter.  I want to tell you the story about this letter, and how I have it in my hands today.

 
The first home I remember was an apartment that we lived in till I was 6 years old.  I vividly remember everything about it.  The living room with the bark cloth curtains...how the windowsill had wood that splintered.  The 2 bedrooms, living room and the rest.  I even remembered the attic and the Underwood typewriter that I loved to play with when I went up there with my Mom.
Fast forward almost 50 years...seven or eight years ago...
Our son Jon moved into the "old neighborhood" where I grew up,
 and on a whim, I asked my sweet hubby to do a little drive by
 of my first home. 
There was a sign out front that said, For Rent, Open House! 
You know I just had to take a look.  As soon as we walked in, I was amazed at how small it was.  It was tiny.  All the bones were still there, it was still the same, but with new drywall and no splintery windowsill.
We started up a conversation with the young couple that owned the home.  Of course I told them that I grew up in the house.  They were so friendly and took us up to the attic that now contained a fancy bathroom.  You could roller skate in this bathroom, it was huge.
Anyway, during our conversation they mentioned that they had found an old letter during the remodeling.  They asked what my maiden name was, I told them and they said, no,
 it wasn't your  family name on the letter.
The husband went and got the letter anyway to show us.  My hubby looked at the letter, it said Miss Ina------.  I looked at it and immediately started crying...  It was a letter addressed to MY MOTHER, with her maiden name.  The letter was from 1943.
Somehow, from my Mother's things stored in the attic, that letter found it's way into the wall, to be found sometime in the 2000's!

 
Now you might think that the letter contains the love story, and it does, but not in the way you might think.  The letter is from a family friend of my Mom and my Buscia.  I don't know if there was a romance there...   It was before Mom and Dad got together. The love story is actually between Mom and me.
Crossing time and space.  Mom letting me know that she is still with me.


 
What are the chances that we would go past this house on this day... see the sign, talk to the owners, they mention the letter, the letter is addressed to my Mom.  It still boggles my mind. I've had a few experiences where I knew in no uncertain terms that my Mom is still with me.  Sometimes it's been a wow moment like this letter, mostly it's the small things...  Crocheting with her worn crochet hook, feeling her hand guilding mine... the comfort of afghans Mom crocheted, their warmth is like a hug... Things that she found that I still treasure.  Traditions kept till this day.  A legacy of love that I have passed on to my children and now to my grandchild.  Mom may be gone but her spirit lives on...in me, her sons and grandchildren and her great grandchildren. That's the love story... 

Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments.  Enjoy this beautiful day.


Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Lynne said...

Absolutely beautiful . . . Loved this Penny . . . and love your heart . . .

Lynne said...

By heart I mean "your soul filled heart.". I like the valentine heart too . . . smile . . .

babs said...

Oh Penny, what a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing!

Debby said...

Wow, Penny that is an amazing story. I hope that you have resotred it somehow so that it stand up for many years to come. What are the chances of that happening. I love it when things do happen like that.
Your lovely heartss have arrived. They are beautiful. The packaging are so professional. I can't wait to staart mailing back the hearts. I have only received 4 back but will start mailing soon. Thanks Penny......I know you spent a lot of time on yours.

Jill said...

Oh Penny! This is so very special! Thanks from my heart for sharing it with us. It means a lot to me. I'm so glad your Mom dropped you a line on this very specail trip. AMAZING!