Friday, December 6, 2013

My House Sparkles (on a budget!)

 
Everything on my mantle is thrifted, rummaged, over 20 years old if purchased,
except for the tree which has been here for a while, but I can't
remember how long.  I accidentally stumbled on this vintage aluminum and
silver theme.  I love this sparkling Peace sign,
and a wreath just didn't fit.
The hurricane came from my son Jon.
  Someone was throwing this out and several
other vases.  Jon knew I would like them.  So sweet!
I told you about my dollar candlesticks, and blogged about
the tray with the silver spoons hubby and I made.

The last tray is Pottery Barn, $3.99 at the thrift.

 
I am very pleased with the look of my mantle.

 
Fake snow, a decorating staple at my house,
battery candle.

 
Tiny touches to my china cabinet.  Quilted mittens outside,
a few handmade Christmas trinkets inside.
See the paper tree on the right?
I once made 10 for a club event,
displayed on a chinet plate, with a pedestal
made from a candle holder.
It was so pretty.  One of my favorite inexpensive projects.

 
In the kitchen...
I found the scale for $5 in the fall.  It all came together
with this gingerbread couple from my SIL Mindy
and tea towel made by my guild sister Mary H.

 
I did buy the stars at Target.  I covered the dictionaries with wrapping paper.
Bowl from my SIL Elizabeth.  (I told you my SIL's are the best!)
The window garbage picked...I think it has been a staple longer in my house than in
the house it originally came from!
Iron candle holder a gift from another guild sister dear Carmella.
Lamp and candleholders from the thrift.

 
I made all the stars for the tree. 
Tree skirt is a tablecloth Elizabeth got for 90% off after
Christmas a long while back.
Baby Jesus, a piano baby,
but Baby Jesus to our family
since the 70's.
Found by my Mom at her favorite thrift shop
on Irving Park Road, Jerry and Edna's.
The handmade nativity from
Nancy and Lisa, friends now living far away
but still in my heart each Christmas.
Can't wait to wind it up for Penny to enjoy.
It plays Silent Night.

 
Our Christmas Angel. 
She was on our very first tree in 1976.
A Hallmark angel.
I am hooked on the Hallmark Channel's Christmas movies.
Anyone else willing to confess this guilty pleasure?

 
I added and subtracted some things from the buffet.  I filled the demijohn with
a string of lights.  Placed my painted angel and a tiny tree
from IKEA in a vintage aluminum ice bucket.
The music fabric I tea dyed and stretched
on a old canvas last year.

 
Stealing a play out of Joy's (Savvy City Farmer) playbook, my vintage scarf,
I wore as a child, now used as a table runner.


 
One splurge, my dearest would not let me leave the barn
sale at Heritage Beam and Board without this
dreamy barn board.

 
It is perfect on the beam in front of our dining room.

 
All neutral pillows on the couch, most made by yours truly.

 
Last but oh so cute...a tiny village sprung up around this little lake in my fire pit coffee table.
When I turn on the battery operated lights, it magic!

Check.
Only 3 or 4 dozen tasks to check off my list before all my preparations are complete.  Hope you enjoyed the tour.  Love and Joy to all.  Enjoy this beautiful season!


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Our Hopeful Home said...

Oh my gosh, there are so many things here I just squealed to see, Penny! You do not give yourself anywhere near enough credit for your thrift-store-diva-ness and your artistic/styling talent! You have creted such a lovely, warm and inviting home. I wish you and your family the best this holiday season, friend!

Melanie said...

Oh, Penny...all your decorations and your home are absolutely delightful! I can't believe you made all those starts for your tree. What are they made out of? Love the Merry and Bright sign. Looks so perfect where you have it that now you need another sign to keep up in that spot all year round!

Lynne said...

Looks wonderful Penny! Love all your touches . . . . I am getting close to my photo shoot . . .

Granny Sue said...

Your mantle is genius! I love old metal trays but never found anything clever to do with them. Now I have :) Thanks!