Friday, August 1, 2014

August


The first of August is a day that brings me back to a August first twenty years ago.  My husband was in a horrible car accident.  Hit head on by a truck.  He was driving a minivan and suffered some terrible injuries. We were in the process of buying the house I sit in today.  Our closing was supposed to be August 2nd and I was full of anxiety. My dearest had just told me not to worry, that everything would be OK.  Then he walked out the door the next morning and our lives were changed forever.  How unimportant the house became.


To make a very long story short, my guy survived, through much pain and suffering. Through his recovery we became even closer and stronger having weathered this storm.  I  want to always remember this day...no day is guaranteed, no tomorrow promised.  These last twenty years have been a gift. What a tragedy if I had lost him then, before he could see our children grown up, to see the wonderful adults they have become, before he could be called Papa by our sweet and special Penny, before I could show him a million more times how much I love him.   Our thirty eight years together, a treasure.  Last night we celebrated.

 Alone at Ravinia. When I say alone, I mean ALONE!  When we got there we were the only people there.
 Hellooooo?
 Is there a concert here tonight?

People started coming in a few at a time, but I don't think there were thirty groups on the lawn.  The concert was in the theater, so we didn't see how many people attended inside. The performance was a baritone who sang opera in German.  Romance?  No. (A little like a nightmare or horror movie...) He had a beautiful voice but the music was not melodious. We did manage to have a good time, talked to some very nice people and celebrated our anniversary, with many well wishes. We had a great dinner, a fancy cupcake we shared for dessert. We watched the stars come out and called it a night. We listened to some really great music on the way home, and went to bed tired and happy. A happy anniversary.

Shakespeare said, "Summer's lease hath all to short a date."  And that my friends is August.  Four short weeks of Summer.  How will you spend these precious days?

Thanks for stopping by and for all your well wishes.  Have a great weekend my friends...Love to all.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

You write beautifully . . . with passion and description . . .
First I have heard of the August 1st accident . . . Very happy your husband weathered that horrible accident!
To bad Raninia wasn't your usual . . . sounds like a special night, even so . . .

Melanie said...

20 years since Tyke's accident...wow. I'm sure it makes celebrating your anniversary even more special (the gratefulness that he's OK). Well, no wonder Ravinia was empty with the concert being a guy who sings opera in German, lol! Did you bring your own food or did you get food there?