Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Taking the Leisurely Path to Christmas

 I'm not sure how it started, but I am taking a leisurely path to Christmas this year.
Enjoying every moment, even the snow shoveling and death grip trips to pick up pizza, or other things around town in the snow and ice.
 Anyway, a Christmas just doesn't seem right without some snow and cold temps.

 We had our girl over for a Saturday of snow fun.  We threw her into snow drifts, she helped shovel the driveway.  She followed tracks in the snow and was an all around joy to have around.
  Later the family joined us to celebrate our daughter Kristen's birthday.  Seems like yesterday I was holding her tiny self in my arms.  I was a mother for the first time, nine days before Christmas. That was xx years ago now...  Now she's a great Mom and a talented, kind and funny woman I so admire and love very much. Time flies...
With all our kids nearby, my heart is overwhelmed with gratitude and love for each of them.
Mike and Amanda are settling into life in Chicagoland.  Both happy in their work and happy to be close.  Jon spent the day with me last week to learn the art of bread baking, my Mom's braided bread that everyone loves.  He and Charlotte left with my Kitchen Aid mixer and a large Pyrex bowl.  He is taking over the bread making for Christmas Eve and I couldn't be happier to pass the torch to the next generation.
I had two happy visitors yesterday.  My nieces came for a long overdue visit.  We had a tea party of sorts, made forts, colored and they watched movies and danced.  A pleasure to have some time with them.  My brother Greg (their Grandpa) is in the hospital.  Greg is doing well and will be home for this birthday this week. So glad that everything went well.  My niece Emma, now a beautiful grown up 16, lost her dear Oma this week. Oma was a lovely, graceful lady, someone I always looked forward to talking with.  She will be missed by us all.
Thinking of all those who will have someone missing this Christmas.  Wishing them peace.

Last night we enjoyed a concert, George Winston.  It was very cold outside, but warm and relaxing inside.  The music was beautiful, so many familiar melodies.  Such talent and quiet appreciation, letting the piano sound the last tones, which is a beautiful thing to hear. After the concert the quick walk in the frigid temps, the slow warmth filling the car as we headed home.  Hungry, we decided a slice of fruitcake filled the bill and we were in bed and cozy by the time the 10:00 news was over.

This week may will get crazy, as it always does, but I hope you take some time to savor each and every moment.  Sending warm wishes for a very Merry Christmas to you my friends, and a happy, healthy and prosperous new year, from everyone here At Home in English Valley.

Enjoy this beautiful day!
Love, Penny

2 comments:

Our Hopeful Home said...

So glad you're having such a lovely winter! Enjoy your beautiful family and Merry Christmas to you and yours! xoKathy

Debby said...

Merry Christmas my friend. I love your Penny stories. Hugs