Monday, February 27, 2017

The Smallest Elements


"By concentrating on the smallest elements of our lives we see that we are part of a greater wholeness.  When we try to take care of the smallest things, the deepening process begins." 
Alexandra Stoddard in Grace Notes

A sunny Monday morning in late February finds me concentrating on small elements. but first the big... My daughter Kristen will have sinus surgery early in the morning on Tuesday.  Kris is  much more guarded in expressing her feelings, than I am. I was surprised that she posted about her anxiety about tomorrow on face book. We are very much alike, even though I hear a lot of ...Oh Mom.  She's my first, my only daughter and I love her so much. I am very anxious myself, but my kids all know that. If you are so inclined, please remember Kris in your prayers. My job is taking care of a certain small girl, so I won't be with Kris tomorrow, but my heart will, with my prayers for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.     

Later today I'll be cooking for my son Jon.  We have already celebrated his birthday together, but I have to mark the day by making one of his favorites.  Happy Birthday dear Jon Jon.  Wishing you good health, happiness and love always.

Now for the smaller elements...
 We did a little thrifting, and I found this lovely plate.  So soft and lovely,  Reminds me of Christie Repasy's work but is signed by Mary Ruffing
 This is the score of scores, Eleven yards of this beautiful flower print fabric for $5.00.  The first thing I will make is an apron. Designer Matthew Mead posted a photo of a hanging shoe type bag filled with treasures.  Dear Dawn from A Feathered Nest has made some shoe bags dripping with lace, buttons and trim.  I will just let the flowers do the talking as I attempt making one myself.
 Playing with the pedestal that I received for my birthday from my dear SIL Elizabeth.  The little Raggedy Andy makes  me smile.  Many years ago my dearest and I dressed as Ann and Andy for a Halloween party, except he was Ann, and I was Andy. We had so much fun.  This Andy was .25 at the thrift, and I walked away form it.  The next time we visited I looked for him but he was not in the toys.  Someone had picked him up and put him down in another section of the store.  Made me giddy to find him again and pop him in my cart.
 This pic from Saturday afternoon does not do the beautiful effect of the sun streaming through the breaks in the clouds justice, but it was amazing.
 I mentioned that I had ordered a couple of things from Pottery Barn with my birthday gift cards.  This is the coolest, a drying rack.  I have very little wall space in my kitchen, so honey mounted it on a door.  I am using it just for display, but it still can serve it's purpose.
 It's all galvanized and beautiful wood.  A very vintage combo.  Thanks to the kids and my sweetheart for your generous gifts.
 Already changing things up.  Feeling a litle springish.
 Shopped with Penny for a crafty project...
 and a few beautiful things.  These are paper plates!  Saving these for Ravinia this summer.
 I wasn't sure if my vision for the fireplace would translate to the spring, but I really like it.  It looks fresh and clean.
A few real plants are making me itch to get outside and plant.

Adding all these elements, makes my house a home for my sweetheart, our family and friends.  It also becomes the home I always dreamed of, with all it's imperfections...just like me...a work in progress.

Thank you so much for stopping by and for all your kind comments. 
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

4 comments:

At Home in English Valley said...

just a test

Our Hopeful Home said...

I'll pray for your daughter's surgery and that all goes well. (I'm sure it will.) Happy birthday to your son and hats off to all your lovely thrift store finds! Stay well. Your friend, Kathy xo Our Hopeful Home

Lynne said...

I will "remember" Kris
with my caring . . .

Fun find from Pottery Barn!
And the $5 piece of fabric will make a
very pretty apron!

"Happy Nearly Spring" to you Penny!

Melanie said...

I am trying to leave my comment again, Penny....

As I told you on FB, I am holding Kristen up in prayer today. I also prayed for her doctors and the nurses that will be taking care of her. AND...I have prayed for your peace of mind today, too.

You always find beautiful things at the thrift stores. I can't wait to go thrifting with you again. We haven't done that in a long time. When my knee heals completely, maybe we can make a date?

That folding garment rack is just beautiful and so perfect in your kitchen with your towels on it.