Monday, November 13, 2017

Unforgettable

 We had our first snowfall on Friday, we were caught with our leaves down, so to speak. It sure was a pretty sight, snowflakes softly fluttering.
 I turned on the Christmas tunes, and put a little meatloaf in the oven. Lit a candle and enjoyed the view.
 We've been feeling poorly the last few days. 
 When Penny was with us last week she was a dripping faucet of snot. (I know not a pretty picture.)
The thing is that you have to prompt nose blowing in someone so young, or in my hubby's case someone set in his ways and absolutely against nose blowing.  It's a chore for both of them.  No matter how many times you wash your hands, or purell them, snuggling with a cold sufferer, begets a cold for yourself.

We did brave the cold and bundled up to enjoy the annual fireworks to welcome Santa at the Fancy Pants Mall, just down the road from us.  
It is one of my favorite events, and this year's display did not disappoint.
The finale was a shower of those sparkles that fall like rain.
There was not one, or two bursts, but dozens and they fell in the most magical way.
We were pretty close to where the fireworks are launched, and they fell right over us.  It was like a dream, so beautiful.  Holding my sweetheart and being held in the cold, and the magical display, made for a memorable evening.

Just a quick story about our girl.  Kristen and Doug celebrated their 12 year anniversary on
Saturday.   The went out for a family dinner and during the dinner a song came on in the
restaurant.  It was Unforgettable, the famous Nat King Cole song.  Penny sang along, and serenaded
her parents. Kristen and Doug were amazed and moved by her performance. 
Later when they told me the story, I asked where she heard the song and how she knew it.  Penny said, "Oh, at Grandma's house."  Then I vaguely remembered slow dancing, or as Penny calls it, romantic dancing with Penny, and of course I was singing to her.  She has an amazing memory, and quite the ear for music.  It made me think of this song that I love, from the musical, Into the Woods.


It's called, Children Will Listen.
by Stephen Sondheim

Careful the things you say
Children will listen
Careful the things you do
Children will see
And learn
Children may not obey
But children will listen
Children will look to you
For which way to turn
To learn what to be
Careful before you say
"Listen to me"
Children will listen.

They do listen, hopefully what you say and do is good and positive.
It's a privilege to be a grandmother and a joy like I've never known.
I hope the part I play in Penny's life, brings her many times when she can happily say, I learned it at Grandma's house.  


Thanks for stopping by and for your kindness.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

No comments: