Monday, August 13, 2018

Everything Good

                                                  
Shopping the thrift last week I spied this table.  This thrift has that sliding scale, if it's not sold at a certain date, the price drops.  It's gambling to walk away from something you like, hoping it will still be there on the date the price drops, but I was happy when my guy pointed it out to me.  It had been moved so I thought it was gone when we came back this week.  Hubby took me on his lunch hour. He said that he wanted to be there for me in case I was disappointed.  Yes, that's what I'm dealing with over here.  The sweetest kindest man. 
 It's solid oak with five legs.  At some point it held many leaves, but none were included.  I just needed a small table and have been looking for a drop leaf table for a while. 
 On another adventure I found a couple of beautiful books and an orphan hand tossed bowl.
 Marjolein Bastin is one of my all time favorites. I originally found her work at Hallmark and she is now licensed many beautiful items with her work.
 Glorious photos, daydreams in a book.
 To add to my collection.
"Everything good, everything magical happens
between the months of June and August." 
-Jenny Han

The garden once babied before our garden party has been neglected. I got out this morning and was surprised by how resilient these once pampered plants can be. A good watering and deadheading the spent blooms was all they needed.

 We had our last Ravinia concert of the season.  It was Steve Martin and Martin Short and the Steep Canyon Rangers.  We had the best time.  We laughed, the music was great.  The weather cooperated.  The crowd was huge but well behaved and respectful.  Penny who enjoys listening to the latest Steven Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers album with us asked this morning if they played her favorite songs.  One called Caroline and another song The Strangest Christmas Yet.  They did not play her songs but it made me smile she knew the titles, and that she loves the songs too.

 The show was shown on a big screen on the lawn.
 It was just a bit hazy from the fires all over the west and into Canada.

We met a nice woman from New Jersey who had just relocated to Illinois.  She said it was her first time at Ravinia and we told her we have been coming for forty two years!  We enjoy this outdoor venue so much.  It's a part of summer we love and the last time we come each year, signals the end of summer is near.

 Two little sneak peeks.  Amanda's bouquet,
and an arrangement.  All the flowers for the wedding are finished.  The bride's headpiece, veil and bouquet, all the corsages, boutonnieres, bridesmaid's bouquets.  Elizabeth was amazing as usual and made the loveliest  arrangements, and helped finish the bouquets.   Elizabeth works at a "fancy pants" florist.  The arrangements she made would be worth hundreds of dollars in her shop.  I'm grateful for Elizabeth's help and artistic vision.  Did I mention we had so much fun working together.  Betty I love you and you're the best.

GOOD NEWS!  My dear friend Jean received excellent news, her scan was great.  No more chemo!    Thanks so much for sending good thoughts and prayers for my friend. It is such a relief.  Jean and her family so needed this wonderful news.  Now for the  slow and steady recovery. Let the healing begin.  Still praying for you my friend.

Thanks so much for stopping by and for your friendship.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Oh happy day . . . for Jean and family, friends . . .
Ravinia sounds like such fun . . .
And weather cooperating even more so . . .
Beautiful flowers for the wedding, corsages, boutonnieres . . .
Certainly an art, artistry . . .

BTW . . . box is packed, on its way, tomorrow next!

Lynne said...

Almost forgot . . . did you get the dropleaf table?

Unknown said...

Oh Penny. You always give me so much credit when your the one that deserves it I’m always so happy to help you out whenever i can because you always give back so much more Love you 😘 an thank you 🙏