Wednesday, May 2, 2012

French Subway Sign Tissue Project

 
I found this tissue from 7 Gypsies and thought of a project using an old technique.  All you need is tissue paper, preferably a cool pattern or print, and some fusible interfacing.

 
Sold by the yard at any fabric store.

 
I found the tissue at an independant craft store, Hannah's in Antioch, IL.
First you crumble the tissue and then carefully smooth it out.

 
Then carefully place the tissue on the fusible interfacing (there's a smooth side and a nubby side...you want your tissue ironed to the nubby side) and start to iron it, from the center. out to the edges.

 
The iron will pick up some of the ink, so make sure to clean your iron before you go to press your best white shirt.

Now you have fabric backed tissue that you can actually sew...into what, you might ask...
Well with this tissue you can use it as it is for a cool Metro sign.  Trim the edges and hang, or make a pillow...Just a decorative one, you are not going to want to snuggle up with this pillow but it sure would look great on a chair.  A gift bag perhaps, or a clutch bag... I'd spray the clutch with a clear matte spray to keep the print from coming off on your hands or clothes.  I'll be making mine into a Metro sign.  I'm thinking of using duck tape to frame it.  The paper itself is so cool, but at $6.99 for 4 sheets,
I won't be wrapping gifts in it!

 Pillowcases, again?!  Well, yeah...Once I get in the mood, watch out.  I made 15 in all.  A few have already gone to friends.

I still have fabric cut and ready to sew, but my creative space has reached maximum density and near collapse.  Time out for some serious cleaning.  Back soon.  Enjoy this beautiful day!


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Lynne said...

Yah Yea . . . I got one of those pillow cases.
I am one off the LUCKY!

Barb said...

The ideas you come up with are aazing. This oneis a sure winner.

Barb said...

Whoops...amazing.

Jill said...

Great tissue paper and use for it! All of the pillow cases are beautiful!

Our Hopeful Home said...

Pillows would look great with this! I have found some really pretty printed tissue paper over the years, this is a great way to use it. Thasks for sharing another one of your fab ideas, Penny!

Kathy

thistlewoodfarm said...

Love the idea of this tissue project. I have never seen combining tissue with interfacing before.

Awesome!

blessings,
karianne