Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Trendy Tray

 
Found this octagon tray at a rummage sale.  It was meant to display
needlework...

 
and this clock with a domed face.

 
I braved the 87 degree heat and the 99% humidity to sand both frames.
Not a breeze, just stifling.

 
Back inside to paint.  I used the gray paint I used on the dresser I refurbished last year.
I still have 1/2 a quart.  More gray items to follow...;-)

 
After three coats, I cut a piece of scrapbook paper to size, cleaned the glass and
replaced the teeny tiny screws.
That's one of my granddaughter's favorite things to say...teeny tiny.

 
This paper is from the Hob Lob.  It's all chalkboardy...trendy like.

 
What do you think? 

 
With my French pitcher and a silver spoon it looks good.
The pitcher was a thrift store find too.

 
On my quest to rescue handmade embroidered linens...I found these.
(Shown fresh from the laundry...you know...oxyclean.)
This one is rectangular and large.  Perfect.  The embroidery done
so beautifully.  Tossed on a table, masking tape sticker...$2!
When I think of the hours and hours someone put into this treasure...
I could cry... 

 
This one is machine embroidered, but when crisply ironed it's gonna be a beauty.
The clock frame is a WIP.  Hope to have something to show you soon.

Hope it's cooler where you are.  I'll be crafting, grateful for air conditioning and cringing at the thought of the electric bill this month.  Thanks for stopping by my friends and for all your kind comments.  Enjoy this beautiful day.


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Debbie said...

This is an awesome tray! What a great idea. I'm going to keep an eye out for a try like this next time I go on a thrift store hunt.
I live in the Western burbs of Chicago so I hear you on the hot weather. I'm almost glad to be working in an air conditioned office...well, almost glad. Have a great day.

Melanie said...

I am absolutely loving your tray makeover! SO pretty. You inspire me, my friend. :-)

xoxo

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Penny dear, it's triple digit here..and climbing. I absolutely love all the goodies you found and the refurbishing of them. Just lovely! The paper you chose to replace the old paper in the tray is wonderful.
:) GOOD JOB!
Love,
Mona

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Like you, I am so ..touched by the work that has gone into some of the pretty linens I have picked up for pennies..makes my heart hurt because I have put the same effort into things I have embroidered and crocheted.. I hope you don't mind two comments...I just forgot to mention the last thought.

Debby said...

The embroidery always reminds me of my grandmother. I love buying pillow cases.
I can't imagine those in triple digits (mona, that's too hot), we have had rain for 14 days now. Downpours and it is thundering right now. It is humid but still better than temps that high.
Stay cool my friend.

Lynne said...

The tray is wonderful . . . This stifling heat and humidity has got to end. "THEY" say . . . Thursday! Let's hope!