Thursday, March 15, 2012

In the Spring...

 
In the Spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.
Margaret Atwood

It was almost 80 degrees yesterday, and with the "help" of my little bird (my great niece) I got the deck swept clean.  This little one wanted me to fill the swimming pool, it was that warm.  After living here in Chicagoland for 57 years, I know that the weather is fickle.  We may still have a snowstorm for Easter, and I'm not ready to jump into summer just yet.

 
Last summer we did some work on the backyard, and many of my bulbs were disturbed or removed.  Nature is resilient, and many bulbs survived.  I had the pleasure of the first blooms and shoots that are coming up right through the new areas of lawn we planted.  This made me very happy.  Although we had to seriously reclaim our lawn from the garden, the flowers came back in spite of all the digging.


 

Oh, you may brag of gardens fine,
But let the children race in mine;
And let the roses, white and red,
Make gay the ground whereon they tread.
And who for bloom perfection seeks,
Should mark the color on their cheeks;
No music that the robin spouts
Is equal to their merry shouts;
There is no foliage to compare
With youngsters' sun-kissed, tousled hair;
Spring's greatest joy beyond a doubt
Is when it brings the children out.

from Out-of-Doors by Edgar A. Guest

Enjoy this beautiful day my friends.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Love the poem Penny and I am enjoying the giggles and laughter of the children outdoors. Nice to hear the birds singing too . . . unbelievable weather. We will probably have winter in the middle of summer. . .

Jill said...

This is beautiful, Penny! The lone blossom just makes me smile. Wonderful poem. Warm here in MN. too!