Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Party's Over

Just a few facts on the Vintage themed baby shower.  MY SIL Elizabeth made all the arrangements in my collection of white glass.  The vases were filled with hydrangeas, pink tulips, lavender hyacinths, pink ranunculus and curley willow branches.  They were so beautiful, with a " just picked"   look that Kristen and I both love.  Thank you so very much Betty. 
 I used my white glass cake plate to place the blanket cake on.  I had MY blanket (Now that's VINTAGE!) that I used to nap on at school on the table along with a pendant banner I crocheted.


The onesie banner was made with transfers that are free to download at Martha Stewart.  They go from one to 12 months, so you can take a photo of the baby each month in the appropiate onesie!

On the buffet table was Baby, a doll Kristen got from my Great Aunt Anna when Kris was very young.  The doll was old then, but has been played with by all the kids in the family.(Baby's eyes open and close, a fascinating thing to children of today!)  I found a new  Fisher Price tic tock clock just like my kids had growing up.  Ours was my brother Jeff's and almost 50 years old. Sprinkled around the tables were vintage baby ceramics I used for the utensils.  Baby is sitting on a vintage blanket I found at a antiques mall years ago.  It is pink and has birds flying all over it. 
 For the candy buffet I used old canning jars I collect.  I lettered all the blackboards with a font called alana.
 Since Doug was not able to attend, I included his photo on the "sweet" table.  Sweet he is, and used the weekend to get the house prepared for their new "addition".
By the end of the shower the cupcake tower was almost empty...Elizabeth made all the chocolate covered pretzels!
This is Doug's Mom Peg, who traveled from her winter home in Florida and Kristen's pal Audrey, (who was so kind and brought me a gift) with Baby.

The favors,  a rolled up flour sack towel that looked like a cupcake, in a brown paper box. I citrasolv transfered  almost 40 with bunnies, birds, french advertising.  My friend Carmella stacked them in a vintage suitcase. The 6 children each had a favor too.  Little shopping bags filled with toys and stickers and treats.

The menu was...
Mini Ham Crossiants
Cucumber Sandwiches
Turkey Avacado Roll Ups
P, B & J  Fancy Sandwiches (I bought a fancy sandwich press from Williams Sonama)
Pasta Pesto and Peas (Salad)
Spinach Salad (with strawberries, red onion and mushrooms and poppy seed dressing)
Asian Salad (with a sweet dressing and crunchy topping)
Bagels Bites with flavored cream cheese
Potato Chips
Dill Pickles

On the Sweet Table
Candy Bar (mostly pink and pastel candies...the big hit, Flying Saucers, one of Kris' favorites)
Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut butter frosting (decorated with mini peanutbutter cups)
Pink Lemonade Cake Balls
Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle

All just a happy memory! I couldn't have done it all without my dearest, or as he is called in this case, The Bank!  Elizabeth and all her beautiful arrangements,  beautiful Charlotte who was with me in the trenches.  My nieces Amy and Emma who took over the kitchen and clean up, gosh I love those girls.  All my friends who came to help and celebrate.  Kristen's friend Lizz who traveled all week and was still happy to attend. All to welcome a baby and celebrate a Mom to be.  If Kristen didn't know before how much we all love her and Doug, she knows now!  The party's over but the fun is just beginning.  Now to wait for our dear grand daughter!

Thanks to all of my bloging friends that have been so supportive throughout all my worries and preparation.  Many of you were there in spirit, and I couldn't have done it without your suggestions and help!    Enjoy this beautiful day my friends.

3 comments:

kristen w. said...

I'm still so overwhelmed by how wonderful this party was. Everything looked perfect, everyone was happy, the gifts were incredibly generous, and the food was DELICIOUS. Thank you for putting together such a beautiful event for your rottenest kid. :)

Love,
Kristen

Debby said...

Now, you know how to throw a party. I love all the things you did....so much food, those favors. Maybe you should be a party planner. Love all the vintage, of course.

Lynne said...

You know how to plan and put together a party! I will call when I need an event planner???