Monday, August 28, 2017

Quiet Weekend

Every weekend this summer we've been out and about.  This weekend my dearest needed some
fun time of his own, which means computer stuff.  So as he was upgrading his computer, I puttered.
Checking on the garden, in it's last hurrah. 
 Still a few blooms on the Hollyhocks.
 Several hydrangeas on the Endless Summer, much better that last year.
 Bee Balm, one last bloom.
 This was the year of the geranium.  So full of flowers with no end in sight.
 The herbs still producing.
 The very last of the cherry tomatoes.  A burst of sunshine in your mouth!

Spiders taking over as I lose interest in the garden around this time each year.
It's just about time to feather the nest.
Remember the chairs I bought at a rummage sale.

They have classed up the living room.  
 We did go out early on Saturday and I found this Fisher Price record player. .  It was one of our favorite toys when my kids were little.  The new version is not the same as the one my children had, but this one is.  The same mechanical music box. Bargains on half price Saturday at the little German Schoolhouse thrift in Algonquin.
 Some other thrifting finds... pillowcases and velum leaves.  I've purchased these leaves from SurLaTable, but never for .99 for 24 leaves.
 I love beautiful eyelet.  These are king sized for $1.99.
 This is a skirt, linen and a delicious print.  I have already disassembled it, it might be a pillow by this evening.

 And, because I need another baby quilt, (NOT!)
 So pretty.
It's something I could never afford new.  My babygrand already whispered, "That's for me, right Grandma?"  She's a natural born bargain hunter and lover of beautiful things.

Speaking of Penny, she had her last day of preschool.  She gave her teachers cards and gifts and had a good day.  Later that evening Kristen called and we Face Timed.  Penny was crying so hard, she was already missing her teachers and friends.  I'd never seen her cry like that, and I know that cry well.  Having that lonely ache in your heart.  Nothing I said to her helped. 
Then both Kris and I were crying too.
We hung up feeling so bad.  This was the first time we couldn't console our girl.  We waited a while then called back.  This time Grandpa had the Allie the Alligator hand puppet,(the same puppet he entertained Kristen with when she was just a baby, and is much loved by Penny) but Allie was in disguise.  He had on glasses, a bonnet and a clown nose. That was just what the doctor ordered.  Kristen laughed just as hard as Penny, and soon after, she felt better. Later they watched some parts of a funny movie together, and she quoted lines from the movie to me the next day.
Penny has the softest heart, just like a marshmallow... She comes from a long line of softies.
In a few days Kindergarten.  I'm so hoping for an easy transition.  She's so bright and funny and I love her so very much.

 There is even a little Autumn going on around the house.  I dried some oranges in the oven, and refilled my stock of cinnamon sticks, cloves and allspice for simmering potpourri sachets.
Too soon?  Not after Labor Day...just getting a little head start on the season.
I won't mention the Christmas music playing in the background.

Thanks for your kindness and friendship.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny 

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Real Person . . . like the Skin Horse said in Velveteen Rabbit . . .
That is you Penny . . .
REAL . . . through and through . . .

Sweet broken hearted Little P . . .
Almost had me in tears . . .

Spicy fall fragrance and Christmas music . . .
Sounds like a winner to me!