Monday, November 12, 2018

Amazing Grace

 November.  Cold and dark, but somehow manages to warm my heart. It also warms me up as I worked to clear the leaves before the predicted snow.

 The snow came and I did a little happy dance of joy. 
(In my nightgown for a audience of one, my hubby.)

 Give me a beautiful snowfall and I am content.  

 Everything looks more beautiful in the snow.

 Then my favorite event to start the season, the fireworks display at the fancy pants mall. (The Deer Park Town Center)  It was 20 degrees with a 20 mph wind.  We walked to the spot we usually stand, then immediately walked back to the car.  It was bone chilling! The fireworks did not disappoint, an amazing spectacle, and the best part...no humidity, no mosquitoes!

 The wind was so strong that the fireworks were actually right in from of us.  We were even pelted by some debris and a cloud of smoke. Both my sweetie and I were thrilled.

 Ice has formed in the fountain out back.  It looked so pretty with the leaves suspended in the ice.

 The sky was a crystal blue you only get on those cold and crisp days

 When seasons collide. Snow with fallen leaves makes for some interesting photos.

 You can almost hear the crunch.

 A impromptu ride down our beloved Sheridan Road with just a couple hours of daylight left.

 I want to fill that greenhouse with plants and live a stones throw from Lake Michigan.

 Serenity now.  In good times and hard times, she is always there for us.  

 You can immediately feel the tranquility.

 The Lake was so still, and quiet.

 The sky an ever changing painting.

 We were losing the light, but for a few sweet moments the sky glowed.

 I call it the Lake Effect.

 Not when the Lake makes it's own snowstorms, but makes me appreciate all it's gifts.

 The gift of living near such a beautiful place.

 Speaking of gifts... Almost every time we pass this Church I try to take a photo.
Mostly I get a blur, but this time my dearest pulled into the parking lot on the way home so I could get a couple of pics before dark.  This is Christ Church in Winnetka, IL.

 It's also called The Church on the Hill.

 This is their view of Lake Michigan.

 The Church was dedicated in 1905.  It was build as a memorial by the William Hoyt family to their daughter and three grandchildren who were tragically killed in the 1903 Iroquois Theater fire in Chicago. At least 602 people died as a result of the fire.  It was the deadliest theater fire in the history of the United States.

 A beautiful place, a living memorial. 
This Church has 1,000 in it's congregation today.

* "Grace fills empty spaces, but it can only enter where there is a void to receive it, and it is grace itself which makes this void."
-Simone Weil

* for more on Grace check out Simple Abundance, by Sarah Ban Breathnach, November 11th.

Now, in knowing the story behind it's construction gives 
me a greater appreciation of this landmark Church.
I will never pass The Church on the Hill without remembering
those lost in the tragic fire.


We made one stop on the way home to this huge new grocery store.
Our Kristen recommended it to us, but warned it was HUGE.
We had no idea!
Let's just say we saw a fraction of the store, and will be working out in anticipation of another visit.
I've read Woodman's is nationwide, but new to our neck of the woods.
Pack a lunch and wear comfortable shoes, it was pretty awesome.

Now our Thanksgiving shopping is almost complete, with baking and cleaning and even some furniture moving to come. Can't wait to have everyone home.  So much to be grateful for.

Thanks for stopping by and for your kindness.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

No comments: