Monday, December 17, 2018

A Cookie and a Kiss


 Almost down to the finish line.  So much to do...it will all get done or it doesn't, that's life.
There is always time for a beautiful sunrise.  I always look out the window first thing in the morning. Sometimes it's still dark, or foggy.  This Saturday morning, it took my breath away.  

Another one of those moments.  Our Kristen's birthday.  Penny and I decorated the cake.  The cake was such a bother.  I accidentally used a brownie mix instead of a cake mix.  I realized my mistake as I poured the rather thin mixture into the pan. I went and looked in the recycling for the box.  BROWNIES!  My hubby insisted I bake it and see what happens. It looked OK.  Smaller than a cake would rise.  SO Penny and I decorated it gingerbread style.  Kristen loved it.  

I will not share how old our girl is but it's almost impossible to think how quickly time has flown.  We love this girl so.  She is a great wife and mother, a sweet sister and amazing daughter.  She was and is my dream come true.  She made me a mother for the first time, and has been my sweetie ever since.  We had a small celebration as Kris and her little family spent her actual birthday seeing Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas at a special showing.  A very Kristen thing to do.
  
 These little disco ball ornaments send little spots of light all over the room in the morning.

 Makes me happy.


 Here are the first of the cookies. 
 Finished three kinds while my sweetheart watched our 
Bears beat the Green Bay Packers!

 Just wanted to show you cookie central.  

 My workhorse.  I so often think of my Mom who just had a hand mixer.  She made the most delicious cookies and baked goods, and in quantities I can never duplicate.

 I have a great setup.  Everything I need at easy reach.

 My Tupperware canisters.  Still my favorite, though they go in the cabinet, not on display.

 The tools of the trade.  I wash as I go. Then all the utensils end up in the dishwasher, ready for day two...sometimes day three and four.

 The secret to uniform cookies, the cookie scoops.

 Keeping my cookie recipes in one place helps too.

 Parchment paper is a must.  You never have to wash a cookie sheet. 
Good quality cookie sheets make a big difference too.  No burnt cookies!

 Here's the cooling table.  Then, they are packed in storage containers
 until I make platters for family and friends.

 Here's one great recipe.  Grandma Rhode's Butter Cookies.  
Try using almond extract instead of vanilla.  Delicious.  
A sweet way to remember a lovely woman.

 Then you need a handsome guy to taste test your cookie creations.
  
 My very own Santa!

Thanks for stopping by and for your kindness and friendship.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

2 comments:

Debbie said...

That blue and orange sky this morning was Mother Nature letting us know she is a Chicago Bears fan! (of course I'd be scared to leave this house if it had been green and yellow!)

I enjoy your blog and hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year.

Lynne said...

I am finally playing Christmas catch up.
Happy to see Kirstin’s Brownie Birthday Cake . . .
And the cookie making process in Penny’s kitchen.
Have all those cookies been eaten or given away!?