Monday, December 3, 2018

Deck the Halls


 Kristen our master knitter made these beautiful mittens for her Dad. 

 Kris even made a flap that you can fold back to use a phone!  She knows her Dad.  We were both touched by this sweet and warm gift from our talented daughter.

We had a visit with Kris and Doug and Penny.  It started with a snowball fight, (indoors, with soft snowballs) dancing in the family room.  A beautiful vignette that I featured on my facebook page, made by our babygrand.  She is quite the designer.    Mike and Amanda had our car on Sunday, so we had a quiet day...let me correct that, we had a busy day at home.  There were hundreds of branches that fell in our ice storm.  I dragged the largest to the curb and bagged the rest.  Dearest hung some lights outside and I fussed and decorated a dozen little vignettes.

 Just small trees this year.  With our growing family, floor space it at a premium. 

 Snowing again today after all the ice and snow from last weeks storms melted.

 My geranium is blooming.  A pop of color hardly noticed in the summer, a revelation contrasted by the cold and snow.

 My poinsettia from last year is blooming.  The bracts are light green, a new variety that Elizabeth gifted me with last year.
 Thrifted mittens warming themselves around a pretty candle.

 A salt glazed bowl filled with vintage and thrifted ornaments.

 Reminds me of ornaments we had growing up.

 Even the bench gets the Christmas treatment.

 A Swedish table covering thrown into a five dollar bag years ago at a rummage sale.

 My bear Clarence.  He sits with a Woolrich throw Penny used as a baby.

 Another small tree near the fireplace, with sparkly bobbles and white lights.

 The mantle has a Christmas tree theme.

 Many of the trees I found at the thrift.
 These Pottery Barn wax houses I admired at PB but could not afford.  Several years later I found them for a couple of dollar each... again, at the thrift.

 This was a recent purchase.  This is a Wally Mart reproduction of a very popular sign that is all over the net this year. I really didn't need it, but liked it so much, it jumped into my cart.  Funny how that happens sometimes.

 Did a little stacking and used containers and candle holders to give my display a little interest.

 My little kitchen tree.  So gloomy this morning for photography,

 but here are a couple of close ups. Hey it's Andy!

 My squirrel Filbert.  He was  popular with my nephews when they were young.  I'd find Filbert in the oddest places and situations staged by the boys.  I wonder if they remember?

 A embroidered shooting star made by my friend Mary tops the tree.

 Some of my Christmas towels, potholders and a botanical apron I purchased after the season at the Chicago Botanic Gardens.  I already received my gift of a renewal of our membership at the gardens from my sweet hubby.  That's why, every time we visit, no matter what season, we say Merry Christmas to each other.  It's a gift we share and has brought us so much joy.

 Another gift from last year. I find it hard to use the pretty linens, but prefer to display them.

 A cherry red garland around my window.

 Another vignette.  The gingerbread man and lady, gifts from my SIL Mindy years ago, now make an annual visit to my kitchen and supervise the baking.

 Another salt glazed bowl filled with festive red ornaments.

 A little village popped up in the foyer,

along with a "stitch and stuff" I made almost thirty years ago. It is still one of my favorite holiday decorations.


"Gloom we always have with us, a rank and sturdy weed,
but joy requires tending."
-Barbara Holland

I'll be tending my joy, and wish the same for you my friends.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny


  

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Lovely “tending” already taking place in your world . . .
Love your little touches and the stories that go with them.

It truly is what I like best about “putting it together.”
Christmas things hop out of boxes and totes just waiting for “their place in 2018.”
And I am caught up in all the years and the magic.

(Our boxes and bins are out . . . waiting to be opened.
Why oh why did I schedule carpet cleaning for this week.
Our house is dismantled!
Good news . . . the carpets will be cleaned!
Hopefully you’ll see some “touches” of Christmas around here by week end!)

Love the mittens . . . One of my mom’s “signatures” . . .
always making mittens for everyone . . . and her pattern looked liked Kirstin’s, (no flap though, smile)