Monday, January 21, 2019

A Celebration of Winter

 "The sunshine smiles upon the winter days of the heart,
 never doubting of its spring flowers."
- Rabindranath Tagore


"The inhabitants of cities suppose


That country landscape


is pleasant only half the year.


I please myself with the graces


Of winter scenery,


and believe that we are as much touched by it 


as by the genial influences of summer.


To the attentive eye,


each moment of the year 


has it's own beauty,


and in the same field it beholds,


every hour, a picture which was never seen before,
 and which shall never be seen again."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson


I am enjoying these cold and wintry days, 
adding some touches of Valentine's Day.


 A pop of red here and there.


Hearts, so dear.


Memories so fond. I made this baby quilt for Mikey when he was a baby.  I didn't finish it till he was 18! Those little VIP teddies were my absolute favorites in the "Bear" season of the 1980's.
I made so many bears, quilts and vests using this whole line of fabrics. Every once in a while I find a  piece at the thrift or rummage sale. Always takes me back to those days when the kids were young, and so was I.


 I love decorating in a romantic way to welcome in February. 
 Not to rush January.
January has it charms too.


 In the bleak midwinter, a little color is most welcome.  Have you ever tried the kits that the Paper Source sells?  Making your own peonies is very satisfying.  This wreath is at least 5 years old, still pretty and the colors have not faded.  All made of paper.


Made these a long time ago and thought I'd 
make a few for our baby shower that's coming soon.


 I have been having a creativity deficit.  Can't find my muse.  
Think she's held up by the weather.


 Puttering?  Now, I've got lot's of puttering done.


A plate here,


A bird there.


 A mirror there.


 Dishcloth curtains...


 More dishcloths!


This heart is at least 40 years old.  Who remembers Abbey Press?


 A simple mantel.


 Red basket with wreaths that will not make it to the wall this year.


A few trinkets to play with...What's holding up that muse of mine?


 A bench full of thrifted needlepoint pillows.



 Then my mind wanders. 

  "Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love
 and to work and to play and to look at the stars."
 -Henry Van Dyke

A terrible photo of a magnificent sight!
A total eclipse.
Or, the Moon on a 6 degree night.  Moonstruck!

Thanks for stopping by and for your friendship and kindness.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

No comments: