Monday, February 25, 2019

The Birds, the Wind and a Monkee.



All the springtime I can muster right now.



 Whenever we get to share time with our baby grand we have fun.  Started the day with breakfast at Penny's pretend restaurant Schrammy's.  Penny made up the name years ago.  She always liked to pretend to be a waitress and take our orders.  We recently remembered Schrammy's and it's still fun.  This time I was the cook.  Penny woke up saying, remember that time you made me a big breakfast with bacon and hash browns...  Luckily I had everything on hand.  Grandpa enjoyed the menu too.   I had my oatmeal.  Like Bert from Bert and Ernie, I like mine plain, with a little salt. (Just because I was under the weather with a head cold.)


 I had the sewing machine up, working on some service projects.  I knew that Penny was just the right age to get a sewing lesson.  She really took to sewing, must be in her DNA.  First we sewed a pillow for her American Girl Doll.  I worked the foot petal and she guided the fabric.


Penny asked if I had stuffing, and of course I did. 
 She was very proud of her first finished sewing project.


The she eyed the bags of pillowcases, and started to work on those.  Penny sewed 7 pillowcases and unfurled them.  I think this is the start of something.  Penny said, all I need is a sewing machine.  I told her this WAS her sewing machine, since Kristen borrowed it to me when my machine wasn't working.  Penny loved sewing. It was a proud moment for both of us.

 We braved the rain and cold for a trip to our favorite nursery to see some owls and a beautiful kestrel.  The show was run by a local rescue.  We attended last year and this year Penny picked the first row to get a good look.  Then, Penny came back a row to sit with us when the 
Great Horned Owl looked at her.


This guy was big and not too happy.


This little guy was sweet not scary.


 We shopped the nursery after the show. 
Penny and Grandpa both thought we need this
 rocker on our deck at home. 


Since our girl is into technology,
 I was so happy when she pulled out the toys and pretended.


As the wind outside gusted to almost 60 mph, we were cozy and snug.  
A big pot of soup on the stove, and a great weekend with our  girl.

On the way home with Mom and Dad, she lost the tooth that had been hanging by a thread all weekend.

Now about that Monkee.  Peter Tork, died last week after a long illness.  I was saddened by his passing, a part of my youth I enjoy remembering.  A wall full of posters of the Monkees decorated my early teen bedroom.  My Dad made a special trip to a music store downtown to buy me a tambourine, just like Davy played in the group.  All the albums, the TV show and the songs.  I have a few favorite songs from the guys on my itunes and a few CDs since I have no turntable.  Not that the records would play...we used to stack pennies on the tone arm so the records wouldn't skip.  I'd bring my record player out to the front porch.  A long extension cord coming from the second floor so we could listen to Monkee music with our friends.  

We recently saw Michael Nesmith at a concert in Chicago.  Mike mostly played his own music, but at the end when he played a song from the old days, everyone sang along.  Now Kris and Doug enjoy the Monkees and Penny is a fan too.  She even went to see Micky and Mike with her Mom and Dad. That's how we ended up seeing Mike in concert.  Kris was so sorry that I wasn't at the concert with Mike and Micky, she kept on saying, Mom should be here.  When after quadruple bypass surgery Mike went back on the road, Kris and Doug bought us tickets and that's the concert we saw together.   Another memory, so sweet.  I remember that girl I was then in the sixties, she's still in me.  Still loving music, cute boys (now I have one) and knee high fringed boots like Peter wore.  RIP Peter.

One last thing, did everyone love the duet by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper on the Oscars last night?  I've been listening to the soundtrack for weeks, but haven't seen the movie yet.  It was so romantic.  This morning I played Shallow for my hubby as he showered.  The foolishness he puts up with.  Anyway I am a fool for love and romance, and that performance last night was priceless.

Thanks for stopping by and for your kindness.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Sweet post Penny . . .
Little Penny sure has taken to sewing . . .
Isn’t that special!

The chemistry between Bradley Cooper and Lady Gag is unmeasurable.
I loved their Acdamy Award “Shallow” . . .
Walking up out of the audience, Bradley singing, Gaga joining in,
her piano talent and voice, sitting together, singing. Oh my! . . .

I do wonder about Bradley’s wife . . . wonder how that is for her.