Monday, October 21, 2019

Taking the Gentle Path...

 Autumn had me standing in the middle of the street on a recent walk.   I have been walking with my head down, but slowly, I have been walking and stopping to admire the sky and trees.

 Spending time with my granddaughter is soul soothing.  Here we are at our favorite place, The Chicago Botanic Garden.  We usually steer clear of the cafe, it's pricey, but my girl has been asking every time we visit. We sat and had soup, mac and cheese and hot apple cider.  Tiny sparrows landed all around us, looking for a dropped crumb.  There was a sign, to keep the birds wild and refrain from feeding them.  They were so cute. (We decided next time to have a few seeds in our pockets, to feed them what they normally eat.)  It was brisk and sunny. A beautiful day.


 We walked in the English Walled Garden, my favorite place  This cabinet is new, and we have seen it now in three seasons.  I need one of these in my garden.


 Penny was a walking advertisement for Starbucks. As I took pictures of her, I kept on telling her to put down the cup!  Sipping warm cider was so enjoyable to her, I don't think I had a photo of her without it.

 
 The rose garden was still filled with blooms.  It was also filled with children.  The Chicago Public School teachers are on strike.  It was my good fortune to have my girl on a precious weekday.

 This is the first time I saw a Bonsai tree with it's leaves in all it's Autumn glory.  Just amazing.
We took the tram, again, and then walked right past our car in the parking lot.  Clicking my key fob to sound the horn...  Usually I would get very nervous, but with Penny, it became a game.  She is a tremendous girl and a fun companion any day.


 Back in the neighborhood, we walked and talked some more.

 


"The weird weird thing about devastating loss is that life actually goes on. When you're faced with tragedy, a loss so huge that you have no idea how you can live through it, somehow, the world keeps turning, the seconds keep ticking." -James Patterson

Shakespeare said to give sorrow words. I guess that's what I am trying to do here.  I don't feel like me, look like me, talk like me.  I feel like I am still here somewhere, though half of me is gone. Writing helps, but if you saw the mound of tissues it takes to write a post, you might be surprised.  Things are still hard, as life goes on without my guy.

Then there's this... 

Tomorrow will be 35 years since I lost my Mom.  She died just two weeks before our son Micheal was born.  Once again, in our time of sorrow, babies have helped us through.  Mikey was raised with lots of tears, but was such a sweet and happy baby. (and a kind, sweet and soft hearted man, much like his father.) He not only helped me though the loss of my Mom but also helped my Dad through a loss I only now understand.  Our girls Stevie and Irene (named after my Mom) are helping us all get through.  They are the cutest most cheerful little girls.  They are now seven months old and so happy to see me when they visit. My arms are never empty when they are here.  They think cousin Penny is so funny.  I see the admiration in their tiny faces.  I make sure to spend quiet time with each of them.  I whisper things about grandpa, so they will know about him.  They love a whisper or a meeting under a blanket.  Pure joy and love for all my three girls.  So grateful for the memory of a loving, kind and funny Mom.  I love you and miss you still.

Thank you for your support and kindness.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

3 comments:

Lynne said...

A loving, remembering post.
Your thoughts carried me back to when my grief was so raw I didn’t think I could carry on.
Like you said . . . life continues on, even so and when our loss is so heavy in our heart.
Happy Penny and the little girls give you smiles . . .
I am sad for you yet happy that you’re staying in touch.
I keep you in my caring and prayers!

Melanie said...

Love you, my dear friend. One step and breath at a time. Always thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers.

Love,
Melanie

Debby said...

Oh Penny, how did I miss this. I didn't know you had lost your husband. You had such a loving relationship. I can't even imagine loosing my husband. I am just so sorry. I'm glad you have your sweet family to comfort you. Hugs and prayers.