Monday, December 9, 2019

By Degrees

 The sunsets this week were so incredibly beautiful.  So many times I walk past the window and have to grab my phone and take a quick photo.  I rarely use my camera, since my phone takes a superior  picture, and it is always close at hand.

 This beautiful angel came to me all the way from Florida, sent by my dear friend and sister of the heart, Carmella.  Cardinals have always had a special place in Carmella's heart. Now, after losing Tyke, the significance of a visiting cardinal has new meaning, and this gift will be treasured, displayed, and remembered by our whole family. Carmella, thank you especially for your memories and kind words about our family. Love you.

 Granddaughter Penny suggested that I use blue lights I had, on the tree this year.  A purist for white lights, I stuck the blue lights way inside the tree and white lights on the perimeter.  It is a different look, but lovely.  The only ornament is, of course, a cardinal Penny and I recently purchased, and our Hallmark angel we bought the year we were married, 1976. (Not shown in this photo.) 

 I made the front door wreath.  I saw a similar wreath and had a large wire heart shaped form. A few cable ties and a garland and I had a beautiful welcome .

 Candles are in my windows year round, I added the galvanized tin hearts, and a string of white lights swagged across the window tops.

Outside skates, a sled and skis and a tiny fresh tree.


 My baby girls are growing by leaps and bounds.  Irene is moving, not quite crawling but she can get to where ever she wants to go.  Here, we are on Face time and Irene has almost reached the phone that Daddy placed there so we could visit. They are phone crazy, and the cutest girls ever.

 Here is Stevie.  She is wearing Daddy's vest I made back in the day.  They both sit up on their own, and their techniques of doing so differ. We have so much fun together, but I love the snuggles and the peace I feel holding one of these sweet girls as they sleep.  Pure bliss. Did I mention clapping?  Stevie started first, clapping for the song If You're Happy and You Know It.  Then Irene caught on.  Now music, funny jokes, any cheering or laughing gets them clapping.  Their tiny hands actually make noise and it's the sweetest thing. Penny is the best cousin, and the girls just light up when she arrives.  I had all my kids here this weekend.  It is wonderful the love and support they give to me and to each other. Hat trick, Tyke.  Hat trick.

Irene, Penny and Stevie
 We tried to have a photo shoot, but it was like wrangling cats. Here they are all looking at the same place at the same time!  (Dad was hamming it up behind Grandma.)  Now that I think of it, why didn't the professional photographer (Dad Jon) take the photos while I hammed it up?  My girls, my heart, my loves.
Speaking of my loves, this was one year ago this week.
I so miss kissing this face on a cold winter day. 

"What wound did ever heal but by degrees?"
-William Shakespeare

Thank you for stopping by and for your kindness. 
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

3 comments:

Lynne said...

I loved your post . . .
Angels
Cardinals
Babies
Cousins
Penny
White lights
Blue lights
Cold air
Kisses
Love
Peace
Caring about you Penny . . .

Jeanie said...

You were in my heart when I wrote my post about grieving during the holidays a few days ago. I'm glad you are finding some cheer in the holidays. It's so pretty -- that angel is a gem! And of course the littles are full of smiles and cheer. Biggest hugs.

Melanie said...

I've been thinking about you and wondering how you're doing, Penny. Beautiful blog post...you're amazing how you find the little joys in things even in the midst of your grief. All your holiday touches are beautiful. I'm sure it was hard for you to care about putting up holiday decorations, but I know you do it for your family. Your little granddaughters are growing so quickly. I love the photo of Penny with the two babies. So cute.

Sending you lots of love and hugs, my dear friend.
xoxo