Monday, December 2, 2019

Great Moments

 The bread was delicious, not a slice leftover.

 "Sometimes, when we have a sad situation in our life -  whether it's a child, or adult or spouse, whatever - we tend to just get lost in all those terrible details.  And we forget that in between, there are great moments."  Mitch Albom 

 The new cookie was well received.  Using a new chip, salted caramel with a chocolate cookie base.
Apple cheesecake bars, triple chocolate bundt.  Not pictured, pumpkin pie. Guests brought more pies, brownies, cake pops and deviled eggs. Kris and Doug brought veggies and dip and Elizabeth brought a fruit tray.  The guys did a liquor run mid party.  I think everyone had a very good time.

 This dear one helped set the table. Look at that fabulous face! Not everyone sat at the table since we had almost 30 guests.  Seven were children! The babies came in beautiful party dresses, I did not take a photo, but I think some were taken by others. The girls visited with just about everyone.  Their smiles light up my heart.

 I lit the candles after dinner.   Just to take a photo.  Thanks to my sister in laws everything was on the table, even the gravy I forget EVERY year in the microwave.

Mikey took over his Dad's job of carving the turkey.  So much like his Dad in sweetness and humor. Jon and Mike, improvised a little ceremony before dinner.  Jon spoke, thanking every one for coming, and then he and Mike rang Tyke's zen bell, saying Dad would always say, "Serenity Now!"  The bell holds the tone for a long time. Everyone was silent...then Jon said, What else did Dad say, Mom?   I said... Insanity Later!  Everyone laughed. It was a perfect tribute, beautiful, meaningful and humorous. (Taken from an old episode of Seinfeld.) So very proud of my kids.  They were my support and knew just when I needed a hug to get me through.

My SIL Mindy and brother Tony left me a gift and a card.
This beautiful lighted ornament.

 So beautiful it touched my heart.  Especially them telling me that they missed Tyke too.  People don't talk about him.  He is ever present to our immediate family, and most memories we talk about when we are together make us laugh. It's the best way to remember Tyke.

It was a happy and grateful Thanksgiving.  Tears and plenty of memories.  Many laughs, hugs and even a few new faces and an dear old friend of the family, Anna and her beau stopped by for dessert.



The sunshine this morning was much needed, as snow covered the deck and yard. 


I did the oranges and cloves, listening to music.

 I will take these great moments as they come and treasure them.
Thank you for stopping by and for your kindness.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny  

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

It looks like a beautiful and gentle holiday. I'm so happy you could be together.

babs said...

I mayhave asked before...is the braided bread, cardamon bread?

Thankful one holiday is done, now on to another difficult first.
❤️

Lynne said...

I loved the serenity moment, insanity after . . .
What a moment . . .
Mentioning Tyke by name is so wonderful to hear, isn’t it.
I noticed after Gary died that no one referred to “him”
as Gary anymore . . . I finally had to say . ..
“I love it when you say Gary’s name!”
Something holy about breaking bread together . . .
Homemade . . . even more so!