Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Oranges, Cloves and a Potato Heart


 The hardest part of this Thanksgiving will be the grace.  Always said by my dearest with a bit of prompting from yours truly.  Last year we shared Tyke's illness with the family at grace, because we were so filled with hope and gratefulness, he was doing so well.  I never thought that it would be our last Thanksgiving together.  Here, again with a little encouragement, my sweetheart is studding the oranges with cloves, as we have done each Thanksgiving day for years.


 I am three days behind on holiday prep.  These beautiful girls, along with Penny kept Grandma hopping.  That would be bunny hopping, chicken dancing, hokey poky as I told them about weddings, especially Mommy and Daddy's wedding.  They especially liked the kissing part where I made very noisy kisses.  Mommy was taking a test to enter law school, and Daddy had to work, so I got these two to myself.  They both have colds, but were still happy and so much fun.  They listen to all my stories, and looked on with real concern when some tears fell.  They will know all about Grandpa, how funny he was and how happy he was to hold them and love them when they were so tiny.

My dearest, silly and full of love.

The potato of love.  It was found photographed and eaten two years ago on Thanksgiving.  The things he did for love...posing with a heart shaped potato.  

I am so very grateful for all of my wonderful happy memories of my husband, for my beautiful children and their sweet spouses.  My granddaughters are my heart and life, so dear and a part of both Tyke and me.
We will celebrate in the home that Tyke and I built together, and I will stud the oranges with cloves and hope to find another potato of love.  Surely someone will catch a nap in Tyke's chair and the kids will make hot chocolate they probably won't drink, and the family will laugh and talk and watch football and eat.  I, will remember.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
I am grateful for you who drop by for a visit and for your kind and dear comments.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Happy Thanksgiving Penny
Sending my love and caring!

Jeanie said...

That first round of all the holidays is so difficult in many ways, but I love that you are keeping memories alive by sharing wonderful photos and memories, not only with your family but with us. How I love the potato photo. What a wonderful face that is!

I send you all good wishes for a Thanksgiving filled with the best of the memories, loads of love and support for you and all you love and who loved your dear Tyke. I hope you and your littles (or at least the Littles parents!) will grab the cloves and study the oranges. I think he'd like that tradition.

babs said...

Happy Thanksgiving Penny. Thankful your life was blessed with so much love.