Monday, March 16, 2020

Love in the Time of COVID-19


 Jon and Charlotte had a party for their girls, Irene and Stevie to celebrate their first birthday.  We took as many precautions as possible.  We elbow bumped instead of our usual hugs with guests 
but with family we still hugged. In a year for all of us that has been, to say the least, difficult, we so needed a happy event.

Jon and Charlotte
Irene and Stevie

Happy it was, joyful even.  How could it be anything else with these two precious and amazing girls?
Many people did not attend, which was understandable considering the horrible news of late and the fact we still know so little about COVID-19 and it's transmission, even how many people are infected.  The guests I talked about were Jon and Charlotte's very best friends, and they are really great friends who traveled to be with Stevie and Irene to celebrate. We all enjoyed watching the girls crumble their cakes, Stevie all the while signing MORE!


Penny and friends
Spending time with my brother Jeff, my sweet nieces Amy and Gina and visiting with Grandma Roseann was really nice.  SIL Doug cheered me up when I got emotional.  We all had our moments.
There is no doubt that Tyke's a part of these beautiful little girls.  I found one photo in particular that made me see his DNA in the twins, just like I do in Penny.  The silly gene is strong in the Willoughby's, and so is the love.


Great Uncle Jeff with Stevie

Everyone pitched in afterwards and Charlotte got some time with her old friends.  I had the pleasure of hosting the birthday girls and Mom and Dad for 4 days.  I am crazy for these girls and they seem to be equally crazy for me.  They are also crazy for Auntie Kristen and cousin Penny who came to help out with the girls.  Don't forget Auntie Amanda, Irene has taken to her and Irene is very curious about bearded Uncle Mikey. To say that I am so very proud of our family would be an understatement. We are closer than ever and so enjoy each others company.  Everyone helped cleaning up and Jon and Charlotte, were left with lots of food and drinks they shared with family and friends.  Everyone went home with lunch for the next day and cookies and cake for dessert.  What could have been a disappointment turned into a wonderful time of sharing and happiness.

As a very wise man (my dearest Tyke) always said, "We'll get through this." and I believe he was right then and are words I hang onto now.  Stay safe my friends, if you need TP I have a basket full.  I fear for my family as we all do, but I have faith that we will come out of this crisis stronger and kinder. 

 Until next time...

Thanks for stopping by and for your kindness always.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny  

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

We will get through it. I did a lot of elbow bumping too. The smart thing to do. I'm self-isolating and so Lizzie and I (and on occasion, at a distance, Rick) will do our best. I hope you do too, Penny.