Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Fun Flowers

I was inspired when planning to attend the BoHo Ball at the NaDa Farm sale, and made myself a flower to wear in my hair.  I was so pleased with how it turned out, I made a bunch.  I thought maybe you would enjoy knowing how I made them.  It's soooo easy!

First I found these brads at HobLob.  All the spare parts are 50% off this week, FYI.  I used them as the center of my flowers.  There are dozens of different kinds of brads.  Even different shapes and fabric covered.  I choose sparkle!

Then I got a few bunches of  fabric/silk (they are not made of silk, but still called that.) spring flowers.  Look for flowers with large petals, small petals...These are just for fun so I used a few different colors. Take them apart from the stems, and remove any plastic parts.  Use the center hole to start building your flower on the brad.  Smallest petals to largest.

I added a bit of sparkle netting that I cut on my Big Shot die cutter.  I cut 6 to 8 layers at a time. I like to add about 7 or eight layers of petals, and one or two netting layers.
Fold down the brad when you have the look you want. I attached a thin wire around the brad with a twist. You could attach this to a pin, clip or headband.  I made my flowers into hair clips. Just make sure whatever you attach the flower to, that you curl the wire ends so no one gets poked.  It's easy enought for a child to do.  A great party favor, or craft project for the girls.  NO glue or glitter, and the possibilities are endless.

I made these for a fun loving group of girls I know...I'll let you know how they liked them.


Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time. ~John Lubbock



I'm planning some idleness and wishing you a happy June!


2 comments:

Our Hopeful Home said...

So pretty! And love your color choices! Thanks for the how-to.

xoxo
Kathy

tikascm said...

The flower pins/hair accessory are soooo cute and we all looked so lovely wearing them on our clothing or in our hair. Thank you for the results of your time and talent!! Warm Hugs