Thursday, January 2, 2020

Christmas Without



Christmas came and we had a sweet holiday.  On Christmas Eve we were all  together and the babies came. Penny was so excited with her gifts and with the babies.  Three of my brothers and my SIL Mindy and Elizabeth...my nephews and one niece.  It was a small group, but so comforting to have them with us.  We had a early dinner and the crazy lottery we play each year.   Later in the evening it was just us, my beautiful family.  I was so happy to have everyone close.  We laughed and enjoyed each others company.  I cooked and baked and puttered for days, but my heart was not in it.
I got through Christmas Eve and Christmas Day just fine.  Busy with our babies and taking care of everything that needs attending to for my guests.  Then, they all went home and I cried, and cried and was lonelier than I have ever been.    

The kindness of dear friends.  My dearest, always my shining star, has a star named for him.
Once again Jean and Tom, so kind, caring, generous and true blue friends.

 A amazing quote from The Little Prince.



 Thank you Jean and Tom for keeping Tyke's memory alive.

On the laundry room door, my little tribute to my dearest.  
 Tyke is everywhere for me.  Life will never be the same, but there is happiness, so much happiness.

The sweetest little elves.  They actually cheer for me, and laugh at my jokes and tricks.  They are pure love.  So much fun, and work!  They are priceless treasures.  Balm for my heart and soul.

Penny, my special girl.  Grandpa's best friend is now the most comforting and loving child to her Grandma.  His side of the bed is now her side of the bed.  She just brought a stuffed kitty I must keep on the bed to keep me company when she's not with me.  What a treasure Penny is to me, and always was to her silly Grandpa.

 Here,  my sweethearts that joined me at the New Years Bonfire.  

 The Phoenix rises, a metaphor perhaps?

 With my SIL Doug.  Flashing his baby blues. 

 I told Penny that the Moon was my favorite of all the figures that are carried into the woods before the fire.  She said she wanted to carry it, and I told her to ask the volunteers if she could, and they said yes.  We had made a tribute to Grandpa, a cardinal flying on a stick for her to carry.  Doug carried the cardinal and walked with Penny behind the Piper, (Yes OUR piper Marty) My darling daughter Kristen and I walked together holding hands through the woods to the fire.

I avoided talking to Marty, not wanting to share sad news at a happy occasion.  Fate had other plans.  As we walked out of the woods, Marty was following us playing the bagpipes.  He kept getting closer and closer until I turned around and said, I love you Marty.  We had a hug and I shared what he had already surmised.  I reminded him of the special memory we have because of his kindness.  


Alfred Lord Tennyson said,
"Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering, 'it will be happier.'"
From your mouth Lord Tennyson, to God's ear.

Wishing you all peace and good health, happiness and love in the new year.
Enjoy this beautiful day, 
Love, Penny

3 comments:

Eileen in Fla. said...

Such beautiful words you find, even in your grief. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Lynne said...

I remember the holding on and then everyone goes home.
My heart is sad that Tyke is not here in flesh . . .
Yet so happy, thankful you lived the lives you lived.
A Love you never ever have to give away . . .
Hold it tight in memory.
God bless these days, just for you!
love
lynne

Jeanie said...

Oh, this is incredibly beautiful and poignant. I'm grateful you had a good holiday with your loved ones and sad but so understand that feeling of loneliness and being along after they left. Yes, holding tight to the memories, sharing when you choose, letting others share... all part of the healing. Doesn't always make it easier but sometimes, it does. Biggest hugs for you.