Monday, February 3, 2020

February, So Far


 My darling daughter purchased a few things from the fictitious Rose Apothecary, actually from our friends at Beekman 1802.  It's a tie in with the show I recently talked about, Schitt's Creek. If you watch the show you'll appreciate the similarities between the real life Brent and Josh to Dan and  Patrick on the show.  It is just fun, and that's why my kids encouraged me to watch.  This is the last season of the show and I am loving it. 


 My little ones have run of the house.  Here Stevie stops at Grandpa's chair. 

 Here they have taken over the TV controller.  Anything with a screen is so attractive to them.  
Watch your phone or other electronic device.  They are so cuddly, sweet and funny.  I got a workout for a couple of days with them.  Ever try to dress an anaconda?  That's what it's like to change them, times two! Oh the love I get, and the bliss of holding a sleeping baby.  Playing on the floor with them, singing them songs.  The best medicine for this old grandma.

My sweet Penny, fashionista she is...

My girl was crazy about the sweater I found.  Big and baggy and the black heart made it extra cool. 
Penny is the coolest. We worked on a school project  before the babies came.  It's Black History month and Penny is doing a report on Whoopi Goldberg.  We went to the library and found some books Whoopi authored for children.  It was fun to get out the poster board and markers, cutting and pasting.   I was shocked that there was also a report due, with all sources, at least three to be noted, and not the Internet. (Books or periodicals)  She's in second grade!  Sounds like parents have the homework.  It's great having her close enough that we can spent so much time together. She had a tooth that was hanging by a thread.  With my own kids I would tell them I was just gonna "Feel" how loose it was then take it out.  My grandchild, never!  It didn't come out till the next day and with Dad's help.  Tooth count, Penny is missing three, Stevie now has four, all on the bottom and Irene has three, two on the bottom one on the top.


 With a windy and relatively warm day on Sunday, out we went for a walk.  
These girls are very serious on a walk, and quiet. 
  
 Some of the sidewalks are still ice covered, and there were puddles everywhere.  That didn't stop Grandma from walking proudly with her girls.

 It was so good to see the Sun.  Helped my mood immensely.

 I posted this photo a little while back...My cousin Diana, my cousin Mark and me...


 Imagine my surprise when cousin Mark walked up to me at the local thrift in my town last week.  We haven't seen each other in ages and it was a happy and sweet reunion.  We were very close as young adults, and our Mothers close sisters.  We decided that our Moms probably had a hand in our reunion.  Mark called it a God wink.  
   
Today we are celebrating Irene Day!

Remembering my Mom with love today, her 101st Birthday. Let’s commemorate with a new holiday, IRENE DAY!  Celebrating all the remarkable girls in our family who bear her name. Honoring  Irene, a beautiful woman with a big heart, and a name that has a special meaning, PEACE.  Mom, your legacy is your family, and these girls who will carry on, with hook in hand.

(Mom was an avid crocheter, as is Kristen, Emma and soon little Irene.)

 After a busy weekend baby wrangling, I took the morning to drive to Wisconsin, ALONE!
If you know me, that statement is amazing.  Since I lost my dearest, I so miss him and miss all the things we did together.  Each year we looked forward to certain events.  Seeing the snow sculptures in Lake Geneva each winter was one of them. I knew with the fifty degree Sunday we had, that I might find puddles instead of sculptures.  I mostly found rubble.

 Some sculptures were still standing, but the features were all melted down.

 Most had just toppled.

You could at least see that this was a person.

It was good to go and reminisce and listen to music and to be honest, cry.
A hundred memories, of a hundred rides up to Wisconsin together.
I always thought it was heaven to be with Tyke, wherever we were.
 I have survived these last eight months, but I will never get used to being without him.

I have been sewing...hemming pants for son Jon and mending for SIL Doug.  They saw the sewing machine up and took action.  I have been sewing but not accomplishing much.  If you notice my attention span is short.  I jump from project to project, thought to thought, but I have ideas.  There are things I want to accomplish, so that in itself is a good sign, right?

Thanks for stopping by and for your kindness.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny



2 comments:

Lynne said...

Oh my . . .
I am remembering my past as I read along with you.
Attention span is greatly affected when in grief.
Going forward when ones heart isn’t there . . .
Is most difficult . ...
Thankful for those three blessings . . .
They are your “forward” right now, through all the puddles and mud . ..
Along with their innocence, joy, energy, individuality . . . and love . . .
My love Penny . . .
lynne

Jeanie said...

I love it all but I especially love that you were able to run into your cousin Mark. And those sculptures are fabulous. And yes, you are still grieving. All those things are so hard. We expect broken bones to take a long while to heal. We should expect the same -- even longer -- for a broken heart.