Monday, April 13, 2020

Let Your Mind Be Quiet

 There are some traditions that easily define a holiday or season.  Planting wheat grass has become one small thing that brings me and my family joy.

 There isn't a child or adult that won't stroke the grass, and feel the cool and sturdy blades.
This year, it was only me and my memories.  Still it brought me joy and one small custom I shared with the kids through photos and text messages.


 I woke up on Holy Saturday, not to fill my basket with food or make one of the many casseroles
the family would look forward to at our brunch on Easter Sunday.  Instead I showered and dressed and left the house just as the sun came up to get some groceries.


I am anxious going out,  I wonder how many of us will suffer with symptoms of Agoraphobia, when the world opens up again and we are free to go.  I was careful, the store had just about everything I needed.  I was wearing a mask and gloves.  People kept to themselves and we lined up with plenty of room between us.  It was not comfortable.  It was not leisurely.  It was get it and get out. 

 On the way out I grabbed a couple of bunches of tulips.  Pink for me,* thanks honey. Yellow for a friend.
 It was the most normal thing I did.


 I sewed for the girls some pillowcases.  Found this P.S. I Love You fabric at the thrift some months back.  The pillow case is a Laura Ashley sheet.


I also sewed several masks at the request of son Jonathan.


 I put the masks in an envelope with tons of stamps, just to avoid having to go into the post office.

 Shhh, these are for Kris.  A vintage sheet with bunches of daisies. 


Friday night my friends Sue and Ron had a at home concert. (All these shows were virtual.) It was fun chatting with friends as Sue and Ron played and sang beach songs.  Texting with friends sure has been sweet, and these concerts have been amazing.  A artist I really like Ari Hest had a from home show introducing his new album.  It's been on all weekend at home. (available at iTunes called Against the Sky)  Then on Saturday a old friend of both Tyke and I had a basement concert.  Tim Hart, aka Ace just blew me away with his guitar playing and voice.  He sang so many great and diverse songs.  Check him out on youtube Tim Hart Music Chicago. 

 I did make myself a dutch oven loaf of bread.  It didn't raise much, old yeast I think, but still delicious.


The garden is springing back to life.

 Never knew that name of these cheerful little blooms that cover my lawn in the spring. 
Glory-of-the-Snow. 


This is how much that grass grew from Saturday to Sunday!


 Elizabeth sent my brother over with a few gifts for Easter.  These sweet little birds in a wire nest.


One day sure made a difference in the tulip department too.

These days are a minefield of memories.  Tyke insisted last year that we go on with our celebration brunch with the whole family, even though he was just one day out of the hospital with complications. Never in my mind did I once think that it would be the last celebration for my dearest. The next two months were a blur.  I feel like Forest Gump, "That's all I can say about that."
What came after Easter and all that Tyke endured is etched on my soul.  But, what it taught me, how it changed me, is why I am able to get through this isolation now.

"Let your mind be quiet, realizing the beauty of the world.
and the immense, the boundless treasures that it holds in store.. 

All that you have within you, all that your heart desires,
 all that your nature so specially fits you for--that or the counterpart of it
was embedded in the great Whole for you. It will surely come to you.
Yet equally surely
 not one moment before its appointed time will it come.  
All your crying and fever and reaching out of hands will make no difference.

Therefore do not begin that game at all."

-Edward Carpenter

Take care my friends,  Know your kindness means so much to me.
"We will get through this."
Find something beautiful in today.
Love, Penny   

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

Yes, Penny, we can and will get through isolation. It may even teach us good things, about what is important, when this is all done. I'm sorry you were alone but grateful you were able to have fresh flowers (I really miss fresh tulips!) and enjoy the day in your lovely home. I have to say, I've been enjoying the virtual meetings and such. I'm glad you could see the concert.

Please take care. I'm grateful you are all right and made it through this holiday. It can be a toughie. Stay well.

Lynne said...

I needed to go out today to get Snickers special diet food from the vet.
It really was easy . . . I call for my order, pay for it.
Drive to the office, call on the phone to let them know
I have arrived . . . they bring the food to me.

Happy you enjoyed some music and
virtual, laughter, smiles, hugs . . .
I like knowing there are those holding you up in caring.

I needed a couple things at the store.
Gloves on, mask on . . . in and out within ten minutes.
My store experience is somewhat like yours.
For sure, people keep a distance,
Very quiet in the store, almost a feeling of avoidance,
like you said, impersonal. There is a sadness in it all.
“Purpose” has changed . . . get things, get out.
I hope warmth, smiles, mini conversations return.

One purchase, not essential, and yet . . . for me it was,
Pink tulips came home with me.

Happy Easter Monday,
love
lynne