Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Reunited


An occasion that could not be postponed was my dear Granddaughter's birthday.  Penny turned eight years old!  We did a modified celebration.  Last year with Grandpa very ill, her birthday was a sad and anxious one.  This year we decided to celebrate, in a safe way and let our girl enjoy and celebrate and be celebrated for the amazing girl she is.


This Care Bears sign has to be 30 years old!


Here she is!  Penny is loving, caring, kind and funny.  She is wise beyond her years.  All she wanted for her birthday was to hug me!  Masks on, but hug we did!


 Penny received roller derby type skates from Mom and Dad, including all the pads, braces and a helmet that make it much safer.  Auntie Amanda polished and tuned up the used pair of skates for her and gave her some pointers.


Everyone kept their distance.  Son Mike looks so like his Dad here.


 Then we enjoyed a fire in the yard.  This new normal is anything but.  Still it was great to be together, and comforting to know that Penny had the celebration she deserved.  


 Not to say that tears didn't flow as I looked to the sky.  


 Then the rains came, more like a monsoon.  The skies opened up, and the back of our yard was flooded.  Rainy Days and Monday always get, me down.


Surprise surprise, look who showed up on Sunday.  Remember that tiny baby from about ten weeks ago?   Yep, it's Stevie!  


... and her little sister Irene! Two walking talking toddlers.  They were very suspicious at first, when Grandma was wearing a mask.  Even their Dad got some weird looks.  I had to show them who was under the mask, and then it was just fine.  They seemed to remember, Oh yeah, this place is fun!
Irene had to have a covid test because she was going to have a different test at the hospital.  We knew that the little ones were negative.  No distancing between twins. Irene is fine, just follow ups from them being preemies.

At some point, caution is our only ally during this pandemic, so were were very careful. There will be no magic wand when things open up again.  We will be in this until there is a vaccine or cure.



It was bittersweet seeing them play in the yard.  Tyke spoke of that very thing when they were born.  Irene loved the sprinkler, and didn't mind at all getting wet. She talks all the time, and is always on the move.  


Stevie was content to sit in the grass. They have changed so much, and grown.  Especially Stevie who is a few inches taller than Irene, and has lost her round baby appearance.

All in all, a happy, yet anxious weekend.  Wanting to do the right thing for everyone. 

 Every one of my family is well aware of the anniversary of our loss this week.  Yesterday was 46 years since I met my love.  Last year on that day we still had hope that Tyke would get better.  That we still had time. This first year without Tyke...who could have imagined a pandemic?  Being cut off from everyone while mourning. I can't tell you how much my family means to me.  I am here to take care of them, just as they are here to care for me.  Tyke is watching, saying. 
" Holy @#$% , What the #$%*".  He had a colorful vocabulary.
  Really, it's unbelievable what we, and I mean all of us have been through.
Your life, my life, everyone, no one has been spared this nightmare.  

I am so very sorry for those who have lost loved ones to the pandemic, or anyone who was unable to be close to their loved one as they died.  I was able to sleep next to Tyke in the hospital, we were able to bring him home to peacefully die surrounded with love and family. I can't imagine the pain of not being there.  

I thought this would be a happy post, but the reality is we all have much to mourn.
I am still here, I am holding my own.  
That's what I hope for all of you.   Know that I appreciate all the kindness through your comments and the many friendships I have found through my blog.
For that, and so many other blessings, I am grateful.

Find something beautiful in today.
Love, Penny



3 comments:

Lynne said...


I come out to the porch, which has just enough room for two chairs,
what with the lower flooded area things up here for now!
And the birds chirp, sing, flit and repeat. Keeping me sane!

Happy Birthday Penny, one day I would love to meet you!
If you write me a letter, or draw me a picture, I will write back to you.
Have fun roller skating! 🎂🍨🎂

Lynne said...

So upset with Google, they have updated things and I go to leave a comment and only half of it appears!
Darn, maybe I should use some Tyke language!

I said something about Stevie and Irene . . . Loved seeing them
Growing up very fast.
Thinking of and caring about you Penny as you come up to this first year date.

Please keep the monsoon rains away, we don’t need anymore WATER!
I said a bunch of other things and now I can’t remember.

The only word that comes to mind is
Shalom ...

Melanie said...

Love hearing what's going on with you and your growing family. Happy birthday to Penny (8!! - wow!!) and the twins are so big already. I know this must be an extremely hard week for you and I am so sorry. I am sending you a lot of love and a big (masked) hug.

xoxo
Melanie