Monday, May 11, 2020

We carry them in our hearts...

My sweet Mommy, me, Greg and Tony. (before Larry and Jeff)
 Mother's Day.  Never been a big fan since I lost my dear Mom 35 years ago.  Still I love being with 
my family, I even like visiting the cemetery, something I once told my Mom I would never do.  This year there were no kids, no visits of any kind.  We did have face times, songs and giggles. It's noisy and loud and fun, but just not the same.

"Whether or not we are blessed to have our Mothers with us, we carry them in our hearts every day, and especially celebrate them on Mother's Day."
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi


 Some of the hardy spring bulbs and hosta are doing well.  We had a hard frost last week and it took it's toll on many plants.

 The white lilac is sparse, and will need to warm up a bit before I can smell it's delicate fragrance.


Some years are off in the spring, and that's putting it mildly about this spring!


 Who knows if the peonies will put on a good show.  The leaves are so stunted.


 These lilac look dull in the cloudy light.


 Still beautiful.


 

 Oh my Bleeding Hearts!


Even these hardy plants didn't like the frost.



 A sweet gift from Amanda and Mike. I had a problem with our wifi.  Was on the phone with our provider for over an hour troubleshooting the problem.  Finally I spoke to Mike and he said he would be over the next day after work.  He came to the door in a mask.  I had mine on too.  He put on gloves before he touched anything and then I tackled him with the biggest hug around his midsection.  He held me as tight as I held him! How lonely I have been for that connection.  He was in and out within a half hour, fixed my problem, even increased the speed of my internet connection.  As he was leaving Mike opened his arms and said, "Bring it in."  We had another hug and I heard his heart beating and thought, here is part of Tyke and me.  Then, off he went. Yes Tyke, we have the best kids!

  The month of May is dedicated to the Blessed Mother.  I put together this little vignette.
I have always felt a connection to Mother Mary who promised to watch over the Earth.
We can really use all the help possible right now.

 I started looking for something, made a huge mess but found some little treasures.
My dearest, here he is maybe seven or eight years old? Photos of young Tyke are very rare and precious. This one I copied and made into a card.


 Here is Mr. Mallard, taking a stroll down our block.  I have been having many bird encounters.



I was on my walk and this Kestrel called from a tree across the street.  I stopped, took out my phone and took this photo. Little did I know this would annoy the little falcon.  He swooped down from the tree very close to me.  I was scared and thrilled by this close encounter. 
  

 Another treasure, a tiny teddy I made for Tyke.  (In my Teddy Bear making period)


My sweet Penny sent along this drawing.  I miss her and the twins so very much.  Can't wait till we can get back to exploring our favorite place.


 Last Autumn, she was a walking advertisement for Starbucks. We have so much fun together. We were trying to take a selfie when a sweet stranger took our photo.  Penny has charisma like no other.  She makes friends wherever we go.  Someday soon we will cause a ruckus together.


Another treasure unearthed.  The strange thing is I never appreciated John Prine until his recent death.  I loved so many of his songs that were covered by other artists, including John Denver, not knowing he wrote them. I did love Steve Goodman and his music but never saw him in person even though he was a local Chicago boy.  This treasure came from my long time friend Floyd, back in the day when he was away at school. (He was always away at school, just call him Dr. Floyd!) Floyd worked at events at the school and had these two artists sign an autograph for me. 

It took me two days to clean up the mess I made looking for a diary.  It was from 1974, a very important time in the life of this (at the time) girl.  One thing lead to another and I had to call my BFF Sue in California to share some info regarding her and her now hubby, Laury. Two hours later...after the kind of great conversation you only have with someone who has known you for over 50 years, I started reading May.  I met Tyke on the 25th.  At first sight, my life was never the same.  I was head over heels before I ever knew his name.  

I've been encouraged to write about this by my cousin Kathie.  She wrote a memoir of her life that I loved reading, especially the love story between Kathie and her dear husband Glenn. 
I hope that I can do our story justice. In this time alone, I find myself being comforted by the sweetest, most romantic and just plain funny memories of my dearest and of our love story.

Stay safe, we will get through this. 
 Thanks for stopping in and for your kind comments.
Find something beautiful in today.
Love, Penny





  


2 comments:

Eileen in Fla. said...

Oh I enjoyed this happy post! Stay well.

Melanie said...

What a lovely post! I'm not much of a fan of Mother's Day either, especially since I've lost Phil. And I see the hype all over social media and people getting flowers and presents...it's just all too much. I'm always glad when it's over.

So glad you got to hug your sweet Mikey!! And that you found treasures.

Yes, please write out yours and Tyke's love story! I want to especially know where you first saw Tyke and what made you fall head over heels in love with him right away. (Insert heart icon here.)

Lots of love,
Melanie