Thursday, July 28, 2011

Raspberry Jam

When raspberries volunteer in your hydrangeas...make jam! 
The truth is that I didn't have enough berries to make jam...
so I bought some at the store, and combined them with my own.

I washed and drained the berries, put them in my large enamel pot and crushed them with a fork.  You bring them to a boil, then add the sugar.  Then you bring it all to a boil for a couple of minutes.  I used a canning funnel to help ladle the hot jam into the hot jars, and keep things neat...  It really was that easy. 

There are many easy recipes, but the hardest part is the getting everything clean and hot to accept the jam. 



 There is natural pectin in the berry seeds, so no additional pectin is needed for the jam to set.

 I filled 12 small jars and one of my fancy French canning jars.

It was easy, but I did have help...
My husband draining the hot jars and lids for me,
and our son Jon manning the rings and the camera. 


A delicious collaboration for sure. 



No comments: