Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Making Colored Glass With Mod Podge

 
No self respecting crafter would be without Mod Podge, a staple in my craft arsenal.  I saw this technique in one of the Somerset publications.  It is used to make clear glass colored.  In the magazine they use it to color clear glass the beautiful turquoise blue of a blue canning jar.  I just had to try.

 
All you need to do is add several drops of food color to a small amount of Mod Podge.  I used a small canning jar as my mixing bowl.  I wanted to take these clear dollar store bowls and make them look like antique green glass.  I painted on a thin coat on the outside of the bowl with a regular paint brush.  I made sure there were no drips, and let it air dry.

 
I was amazed by how great they looked when completely dry.

 
Since it is a water based product, you cannot wash
 these bowls in the tradition way. 
They would have to be hand washed quickly and dried immediately. 
The article I read said that if you don't like the results,
you can soak the item in warm soapy water
 and the color will peel off. 
 I saw a similar bowl paired with a
simple white plate and accessories, it was lovely.
 (I was not able to find a link to this photo,
except that it came from brabournefarm.blogspot.) 
The inside is just still the clear glass
you could serve salad in them safely,
just with the quick wash precaution.
  

I captured this photo from brabourrnefarm.blogspot.com
 For display on the other hand, the uses are endless.  How about some orange glass for the fall?  The only limit is your imagination and the colors you can mix with the food coloring.  If you color Easter eggs this way, you know the combinations and formulas are right on the box.  It was a fun little project.

Now, back to some sewing I started last week.  Have a great day my friends.


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Debby said...

Those came out beautiful. Oh the ways you could use this idea. I like that it wwill just wash out. Thanks for sharing.

I know how hard it is with grands so far away. Decided last night it was time for me to hop a plane and head to Colorado. My 2 year old grandson thought I was outside his house when his mommy asked if he wanted grammy to come see him.

Jill said...

What a great idea. The bowls are beautiful!

babs said...

You never cease to amaze me.....always coming up with great ideas.

These are really neat!

Lynne said...

Well I'll be . . . I truly do learn something new every day. Looks like "depression glass" to me?