Thursday, August 9, 2012

Potpourri


This little guy was a rare sight.
 Today's post is a little bit of this and a little bit of that...  First a question... Where are all the butterflies this year?  We never have that many, even though I grow many butterfly friendly flowers.  This year, I can count on one hand the butterflies that have visited.  My milkweed has not a nibble...Monarchs lay their eggs on the backside of the leaf and then the caterpillar nibbles... but this year nothing.  I know this crazy weather has much to do with it.  Hope we get some visits later when the Monarchs start their migration.


 
I made this yummy cake when the kids were all home.  It's a box cake...have you tried the Duncan Hines Deluxe cake mixes? (This in not a commercial, just a testimonial) This is an orange cake, they have a few flavors.  I made cream cheese frosting with a little orange juice and the zest of one orange...let me tell you, it is so good.  Something different.  I'm not purist, I've doctored many a box cake in my days, but this one is delicious, as is... just follow the directions!

 
On our anniversary we took a different way home than the highway.  It wasn't all pretty, many industrial and some depressed neighborhoods.  Parts of the drive were beautiful with short glimpses of the Lake and this amazing sculpture. It was south of Milwaukee.  Not sure what town we were in, and we couldn't stop in traffic to get a better look.  Anyone know where we were, or what the sculpture is called?

 
Went to the Goodwill to find something for a project...found this cute throw for my sweet p.

 
There is no fabric content on the tag, you would think it was wool, but it doesn't feel like it.  It washed  and dried beautifully.  This girl will not be cold on my watch;-)  Kristen has not told me to stop, YET.

We sewed last night for our service project...47 pillowcases!  Put me in the mood to sew. A rainy day is predicted, nothing happening yet, but I'm ready for some rain.  Have a wonderful day my friends, and thanks for visiting.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Our Hopeful Home said...

I agree about the butterflies. Could it be the awful heat? I don't know. Your cake is gorgeous! How do you ice them so professionally? I'm "icing'd" challenged!