Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Provence?...No, Lake Cook Road!


A field of sunflowers, right off busy Lake Cook Road.
On the WGN Weather App I saw that Illinois Science was sponsoring an event at Lighthouse Beach in Evanston to view the Perseid Meteor Shower on Saturday night.  The beach would stay opened till midnight...all beaches here usually close at dusk in the summer.  Viewing the meteor shower over Lake Michigan is the best view available for us here in light polluted urban areas.

The Baha'i House of Worship, Wilmette

So we hopped into the car, drove down Lake Cook Road towards Sheridan Road and our Lake.

 
The Grosse Point Lighthouse


The Keeper's House

The welcome sign...

The Lake was churning...

There were rip current warnings.



In all my years, I have never been on a beach at night...  Not to say that I haven't spent time at the Lake at night,(wink, wink) just never on the beach.

We were ready for a long evening and some meteor watching!

 
Jonathan Livingston paid us a visit.


We watched the sky turn dark and the stars came out.
 We didn't have to wait long for the meteors to appear.
For many years watching from the backyard with our kids and nephews, we got more bug bites than meteor sightings.  This time we saw the real deal, and from the first meteor, I was hooked.
It was magical, hearing the surf, the wind blowing,
 watching the sky...
Being with my dearest... When the temperature dropped,
we snuggled up together under our blanket and were wowed by the whole experience.


 Today is Tuesday... I got up early to finish writing this post
 (I started on Saturday... busy weekend;-)
and was rewarded seeing the crescent moon
  outside my window along with Venus.
 A sweet gift to start the day...

Enjoy this amazing world dear friends, and have a beautiful day. 



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Debby said...

That sounds beautiful. I've always thought of the Lakes like the ocean. Glad you got to have this experience.