Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Preparing for a dinner...


 I'm preparing for a dinner that's coming up.  Our guild is hosting and this is my favorite thing...favors, centerpieces and ambiance.  There will be a Mass, including a May Crowning.  For all of you Catholic girls of a certain age, you may remember that May crowning was a big deal back in the day..  It's such a beautiful thing, honoring our Blessed Mother, singing Mary songs and the crown of roses that we will be placing on a small statue of Mary that has been with our club from the beginning.
 The favors...Actually it's a pencil...they are Shabby Chic pencils that Michael's sold a few years back.  I bought them not knowing how I would use them, but because they were beautiful.  Later I found a story called The Parable of the Pencil...I cannot find an author to credit. I'll include it at the end of this post in case anyone is interested.
The story is printed on card stock folded in half so it stands.  A decorative card is glued and the pencil is tied with ribbon to the front.  It's a challenge to make 50 favors on a very tight budget.  Now that I have been doing this for many years, it's also hard not to repeat yourself.  I think this pencil story is lovely and inspiring.
 For centerpieces I am growing wheat grass in vintage berry baskets.  They will be embellished with several flowers and perhaps a small chalkboard...I have plenty of time to decide...That's a joke, if I have 20 minutes I always say there is plenty of time. ;-)
Here is...

 THE PARABLE OF THE PENCIL

The Pencil Maker took the pencil aside, just before putting her into the box.  “There are 5 things you  need to know,” he told the pencil, “before I send you out into the world, always remember them and never forget, and you will become the best
pencil you can be.”
One: You will be able to do many great things, but only if you allow yourself to be held in
 someone’s hand.
Two: You will experience a painful sharpening from time to time, but you’ll need it to become a
better pencil.
Three: You will be able to correct any
 mistakes you might make.
Four: The most important part of you will
 always be what’s inside”
Five: On every surface  you are used on, you  must leave your mark.  No matter what the condition,
 you must continue to write.
The pencil understood and promised to remember, and went into the box with purpose in its heart.

Now, replacing the place of the pencil with you, always remember them and never forget, and you will become the best person you can be.
One: You will be able to do many good things but only if you allow yourself to be held in God’s hand, and allow other human beings to access you
 for the many gifts you possess.
Two: You will experience a painful sharpening from time to time by going through various problems and trials, but you will need them to
 become a stronger person.
Three: You can always correct your mistakes so you may learn and grow through them.
Four: The most important part of you will always be what is inside your heart.
Five: On every surface you walk you must leave your mark.  No matter what the situation might be, you must continue to serve God in everything.
Everyone is like a pencil...
Created by the Maker for a unique and special purpose. By understanding and remembering, let us proceed with our life on this earth, having a meaningful purpose in our heart and a relationship with God daily.

You are made to do great things!
Author Unknown


Did you like it?  Is it something you would enjoy?  Just wondering...
Back to work.  Trying to get a few things done in the garden, enjoying the mild weather and loving the bird songs and growing things.

Thank you for stopping by my friends and enjoy this beautiful day!


4 comments:

Our Hopeful Home said...

I love it, Penny! Absolutely perfect, and on a budget to boot! And you know I love the wheat grass. I was just missing mine in my little greenhouse (that's been put away along with everything else I've had to hide due to the sale). I choose to live vicariously through you! Great job, I know the dinner will be a success. xokathy

Melanie said...

Perfect for favors and love the centerpieces! You are meant to do things like this - the parties and the dinners - I am not a party planner at all. I'd help make the food instead. :-) We all have our different areas of talents, don't we? I am not Catholic, so I had no idea what you were talking about with the May Crowning!

Debbie said...

Absolutely love the favors you made and the pencil parable is perfect. Such a great idea! I think everyone will love them.

Lynne said...

I loved reading the Parable of the Pencil and perfect favor for your Guild dinner. And the wheat grass is perfect too. Such a beautiful person you are Penny . . . Pace yourself, I don't want you to get sick again.