Monday, May 12, 2014

Weekend Update/ Main Street Market


 We headed up to Rockford, Illinois about an hour and a half from our home on Saturday to attend Urban Farmgirl's Main Street Market at the Victorian Village there.  I had no idea that the red heel socks used to make sock monkeys were made in Rockford.  All of you Carol Duvall graduates might have a special place in your hearts for the sock monkey, I know I do.  This was the first thing I noticed when we got to the venue, a fiberglass sock monkey!
 The venue reminded me of the historic village that the Country Living Fair is at in Ohio each year.  Charming and quaint, lovingly maintained, a really beautiful place.
 So cool, every building had personality/.
 A place to get lost in time.
 We walked through the town to get to the many vendors.
 I just had to get that truck in the photo.
 It was a perfect day for a market.  The vendors were many and the goods varied, from vintage to handmade.
 Here is my friend Joy's booth, Savvy City Farmer.  I stopped for a hug and to be inspired.  She is an artist, and her booth was packed with crazy amazing stuff.

And a funny thing happened when we were walking into a barn...
A woman pointed at me and said..." I know you, I read your blog!"  It was a strange feeling to be recognized. It was Pat Addesso.  Pat was at the very first blogger event before I started blogging.  Pat still doesn't have a blog, and I was at a disadvantage since by reading my blog Pat knew all about me, but I didn't remember her.  We talked about our mutual friends and ran into each other while we walked around the vendors.  Pat got the pick of the day, a great vintage shopping cart I immediately wanted.  Pat made my day!  She is funny and smart and the perfect kind of unique personality that would make for a great blog I would want to read.  I hope that this will be the beginning of a wonderful friendship, if I didn't scare her off with my crazy ways. ;-)

Bravo to Urban Farmgirl for this amazing Market.  How cool to have a event like this so close to home.  I know it was a great success.  The parking lot was filled with people loading furniture and  other cool finds. Since this will be an annual event, I look forward to many years of fun.  


We decided to go to the cemetery on Saturday evening.  I always go to say a little prayer and have a little talk with Mom and Dad on Mother's Day.  It is all well and good except that every Polish Mother buried in one of the cemeteries along Milwaukee Ave. in Niles has several carloads of visitors on Mother's Day and it is a traffic nightmare. It was nice to have the place almost to ourselves at my favorite time of day.  We had a little talk/prayer with good old Mom and Dad, and my dearest held me as I had a good old fashioned cry.  It will be 30 years since I lost my Mom and the pain is still there, right under the surface.  It doesn't take much to get me going on a good day.  We got back into the car, drove for a minute when I told my husband to stop!  There was a deer, eating leaves off the trees.  I jumped out of the car with my camera, and the deer gave me a quick look.  I told her I was just gonna take her photo.  The deer continued to eat and mosey around the grounds.  The cemetery is in a very urban setting.  Surrounded by busy streets and no access to the woods or river, so I have no idea where she came from...  It was a little gift, and a calming meeting.  Sent by Mom and Dad?  Perhaps...

Coming out of the grocer store just as the sun was setting, I caught this beautiful shot.  A beautiful day shared with my dearest husband.  Thanks honey!

Mother's Day was a quiet affair, the threat of bad weather kept us close to home. We completed some chores around the deck and in the kitchen.  The kids came home for dinner and dessert.  At one point I was called away to the phone, when I returned they were watching Robo Cop.(That's what happens when I get on the phone with my SIL Elizabeth! ;-)  So, just being happy to have my guys and Charlotte home with me, I crocheted and listened to music in my headphones as they watched the movie.  Jon said next year Robo Cop II!   Facetimed with our New York family.  Sweet p. had a big "Happy Mother's Day" for me, and she was so excited that Daddy brought Mom flowers for her Mother's Day.  Penny is talking up a storm and can have a conversation.  What a treat, but it was a hard day.  I missed that small one so much and her sweet cheeks to kiss. How I love all my kids!  I am a lucky Mom and Grandma. More than lucky, blessed.

A busy week ahead...A pond to clean, a dinner to host and a second birthday for a small girl to plan.
Thanks so much for stopping by.  I so appreciate your kind comments.  Enjoy this beautiful day.

3 comments:

Debby said...

Sounds like a sweet weekend to me. We stayed in all Saturday. Mabel came for a visit. We had a nice day yesterday. Have a good week busy lady.

Melanie said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! I had no idea that event was going on in Rockford. How did you find out about it? And how cool that you ran into Pat! She needs to start a blog. :-)

Lynne said...

I guess Barbie was there too. Did you meet up?
A good cry is sometimes what we need. You have a dear friend in that guy of yours!